Sunday, October 30, 2011

What do you do with pine needles....

 Several people have asked me what I do with pine needles.  Well, I have been trying to make pine needle baskets with them.  It takes a lot of patience and even more thread.  I got a kit from Mary Ewing at the Spearfish Festival in the Park, but you can get instructions from nativetech.org.  This is an excellent website for crafts.  Fhttp://www.nativetech.org/basketry/coilindex.html



If you saw the comments from anonymous, that is my sister.
Anonymous said...
I'm surprised you were able to get a picture of a cow eating over the fence. I thought dad sold cattle that did that!! Either that or has them trained to turn and run like the wind if caught.
 She is correct that Dad does tend to get rid of naughty cows.  Before he starts enlarging this photo and asking Mom to write down a tag number, this is not your cow.  I saw her on the way home. 

My brother told me a funny story about how he and Dad took a fence crawler to town and sold her.  The irony was the neighbor bought her:)

12 comments:

  1. That is so funny. Now the cow is eating on his side of the fence:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting I have never heard of a needle basket WOW ! I love it. Funny part about the cow love your photos. Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I love your stories and the pine needle basket is beautiful. I went to a craft festival in Massachusetts where a woman was making baskets...lots of patience, but the result is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great story! I love it! And hello beautiful basket..wow :) It is so much fun to pursue your blog and see the new pictures on the sidebar. The wheelbarrow w/pumpkins is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BAhaaa! Oh this made me laugh out loud!! Now onto a more serious note. Keep that basket up when we visit. It looks great you should be busy all winter making those baskets with all the pine needles you raked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny cow story! And lovely pine needle basket. It looks like it would take forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Love the story about the neighbor buying the cow! :)
    I am very impressed with the basket made from pine needles- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good story there about the neighbors cow! HA!! I'm loving the pine needle basket ~ I made those before ... and now you got me thinking that I should be trying my hand at it once again. Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so talented I love the baskets.
    I love the commentary between you and your sister, so funny. B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi dear,

    Yes, garden chores ARE fulfilling. I love every second outdoors, even when the work is hard and hot.

    Another idea for sage leaves. Stuff a bottle with fresh, clean leaves, cover the sage leaves with red wine. Let sit in a cool, dark place for two months. Use sips of this STRONG decoction for deep coughs. This works for me every time.

    Joys to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness...that is so cool..a basket made from pine needles! You did such an awesome job! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.