Sunday, February 1, 2015

Autumn Amber Apple Wine...

Back in October of 2010, I bought a little wine making kit for about $35.  I was looking for something to do with berries besides jellies and jams.  Fifty five batches of wine later, I have to say I do enjoy this little hobby.  I am by no means an expert.  I'm in it for the fun of it.  

Yesterday, I made a wonderful discovery.  The hard apple cider has never been my favorite creation.  It is somewhat bitter, more beer like and I'm not a fan of beer.  I was getting ready to sweeten a batch for bottling, when I observed what a beautiful gold color it had become.  I thought to myself that adding brown sugar, not the usual white sugar, would enhance both the color and the flavor.  Once and a while I'm kind of brilliant.  It has gone from the bottom of my list to the top.  Both the color and the smooth cider flavor is exactly what I was looking for.  

I'm calling it my Autumn Amber Apple Wine.


 I make about a batch of wine a month.  It has to sit for 3 months or more.  As you can see, there are quite a few batches in the works.  There is an interesting batch coming up, Bonnie's Bumbleberry.  It is a combination of gooseberry, currant, thimbleberry, and raspberry.  I've never used gooseberries before.

Well, that is how I am keeping myself occupied when the temps are -7.  What are you doing to keep busy during the winter months?

6 comments:

  1. Love the names and the colours are awesome. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making wine is a lot of fun. I used to make a lot of different ones , never staying with the same flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...Jim might be interested in this one! He's been making fruit wines, and using brown sugar instead of white just might make for an interesting experiment for him! Would you mind sharing your process? You can email me if you'd like...and if not, I understand! (my email is on my profile) Thanks! Hope you're staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you make wine. I'm not much of an alcohol drinker, but your wines always sound so interesting. I'm about to start some seeds, and I'm in the middle of garden clean-up, cutting back lots of dead twigs and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are having fun with your new hobby, Bonnie.

    J and I keep busy, even with the cold. Chores take most of the morning, then I make dinner. I've been trying to get in some cooking and baking to fill my freezer before calving season. I also got some art projects I'm peaking away at too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have been enjoying my "healthy" days indoors. lot's of knitting, crafting and scrapbooking. i never have enough time for all the things i "need" to do!!

    i don't drink wine but this looks like fun....love the names and the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.