Sunday, August 28, 2016

bugs...

It was a quiet weekend.  Very little exciting to share.  There does seem to be a lot of insects around this time of year.  I couldn't get close enough to a butterfly and didn't have my camera with me when I saw the world's creepiest red bug.  Still I got a few photos.

 A very intimidating spider.  
 My hiccuping hummingbird left, but the hummingbird moth showed up.  They always look so angry.

The only reason I was able to capture this dragonfly was because his right wing is broken.  The dragonflies at our pond are unmerciful with their fighting.  This guy hid under a branch and they still went after him.  They are not very nice.  

Any interesting bugs in your garden?  I sure wish I had been able to capture the red wasp looking thing.  It had black hairs sticking out all haphazardly of it's bright red fat thorax.  It was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen.  

This little wooly caterpillar was scooting along when Kelly and I went on our evening walk.  He is the first one I've seen this year.  I had to add him to the post.

7 comments:

  1. You take amazing pictures. I remember the first time I saw a hummingbird moth. I looked it up to see what it was. I think they are so interesting. I've never seen a red wasp like you are describing. I've been on the lookout for praying mantis, but so far no luck. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of praying mantis in my garden...all from a little baggie full of newly hatched praying mantis in my son's 2nd grade classroom, 12 years ago!! Those garden spiders are quite intimidating...maybe I'll concede and even admit they're kind of pretty, but when they surprise me I still have to let out a little "Ohh!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think i should smash that 1st Wooly to delay fall. LOLThe dragonflies are all getting ready to go south from here.Love the moth shot, you did very well.A friend said he had about 10 garden spider webs around his bee hives.Not sure what Jack was shooting, most anything with a broken BB gun.Have a range out there also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got some really awesome captures!! the butterflies have finally decided to visit me and i just can't get a good picture. they are so fluttery this year, they never stop moving!!! with that said, i have enjoyed chasing them around the yard!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great pictures. I love watching hummingbird moths. They're just the oddest things:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do have such interesting moths, and bugs and spiders. I wish you were able to capture that red thing on camera. We have this giant thing I have never seen before either, its red like a huge wasp, but it isn't and it has been around my garden. It is a big as the palm of my hand and bright red. It acts just like a pollinator. It was very shy and when it knew I spotted it, away it flew over the fence and was gone. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You take the best photos of nature! Love seeing what's humming and buzzing in your neck of the woods, dear friend, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.