Sunday, January 15, 2017

Projects, projects, projects...

What a crazy day.  I am exhausted.   I started the day by making these wonderful French Toast Muffins.  Then Ella and I went snowshoeing and ended up getting lost; not lost lost, but a little lost.  Upon returning to the cabin I finished my grouse tail project and made some mittens.  Then baked some biscotti and a blueberry coffee cake.  Finished up by starting another batch of wine and then sat down with a well earned glass of apple/chokecherry wine.  The plan is to finish off the day in the whirlpool tub.
I wanted something different for breakfast, so I gave this Pinterest recipe a try.

French Toast Muffins
Sift together:
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking flower
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
Stir in:
1/3 c. melted butter
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
Spray muffin tins and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Topping
1/2 c. melted butter 
Dip baked and still warm muffin in butter and then roll in:
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon


Ella and I traditionally go snowshoeing on the weekends.  The weather was warm today, so we were both excited to get out.   Unfortunately, I got too adventurous.  We were cruising along following some snowmobile tracks.  When they headed in the wrong direction I figured we weren't too far from the cabin and decided to go cross country, hoping to take a ravine back up to our cabin.  Problem is the snow was too deep, now that we were weren't in packed down tracks.  I decided to head up this hill hoping it would take me to our property.  I was off by a ravine and ended up going up one of the highest mountains in the area.  Poor Ella.  She was such a trooper.  She led the way, despite being in snow up past her belly.   I just saw an article about a dog that saved its owner after the owner had fallen on ice and could get up.  The dog barked for help and laid on it's master to help keep him warm.  I was seriously wondering if Ella would do the same for me. I'm sure she wouldn't abandon me, but I did not feel like testing the theory today.
 This is the valley were went down and the view from the mountain we went up.  I don't have much in between, as the snow was over my knees. It was a tough climb.
The cabin was a welcome sight at the end of our hike.  We were exhausted.  After lunch, I finished up a few projects that I had in the works.  Back in October, I took the fan of a ruffed grouse that had hit our window and died.  I couldn't let nature's beauty go to waste, so I cut off the fan and removed the meat.  I covered it in Borax and it has been drying for months.  The aspen slices have also been drying.
 I sanded down the aspen slices.  On the small slice, I took the grinder and ground down half of the inside, thus the fan would tuck in there.  I put the fan in and tightened it with a screw from behind.  Added a hanger and voila' a work of art.  I still may wood burn some grouse tracks on the smaller slice.  I am as pleased as can be on the results.  It makes me feel good that the poor bird's death wasn't a complete waste.

 My next project was to use an old uniform sweater to make mittens.  They are lined inside with a wonderful fleece.  I like mittens better than gloves.  The pattern was loaned to me by one of the teachers.  I had a heck of a time.  I undid more than did.  I'm not the best at following sewing patterns.  Just ask my mom.  She tried to teach me for 4-H projects.  She should have received a grand champion purple for her patience. After several tries, I got it right.  I liked mine so well, I made a pair for my husband.  He's the mitten model.
After that, I grabbed a glass of Apple/Chokecherry wine and started baking.  It is impossible to find biscotti around here.  If I want it I have to make it myself.  This is one of my favorite recipes.  I don't remember where I got it.
Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti
1/2c. butter beaten
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
2 t. baking powder
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1/2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. dried cranberries
Add sugar, cocoa, and baking powder to butter.  Beat in eggs and add flour.  Add chips and cranberries.  Bake 2 cakes for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, lower the temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 8 minute, cut and bake another 9 minutes.

 Last but not least, I made a blueberry coffee cake for this week's dessert. 
Ga's Easy Blueberry Coffee Cake
Beat together:
1/2 c. soft butter
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
Add:
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
1 pint of blue berries (I just used pie filling and spread it on top)
Mix together and spread into greased a 8x8 pan.
Topping crumble together:
1/2 c. soft butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
crumble on top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes and then lower the temperature to 325 degrees for the last 15-20 minutes.

Recipe from:  http://www.myutensilcrock.com/2015/06/16/easy-blueberry-coffee-cake/


I am happy to say everything was delicious!  I don't feel one bit guilty after slogging through the woods in snowshoes for an hour and a half.  Yes, an hour and a half.   I don't think I will do much tomorrow.    I see Pinterest has added an I Tried it button.  Since I try a lot of the things I find on Pinterest, I am excited about the addition.  Do you use Pinterest for inspiration?  What projects are you working on?  When was the last time you were lost?  Wishing you a productive week.














12 comments:

  1. You did have a busy day - maybe small snowshoes for Ella could be your next project or small foot mittens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been very busy, That is a lot of baked goods. I made a strawberry upside down cake yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that cake for breakfast. It is the red and white Better Homes cookbook recipe. I used a pound of fresh strawberries for the pineapple and Limoncella for the juice.Let me know if you don't have that,wenzlcorp@mchsi.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your day sounded like mine last weekend when just ice and less than 2-inches of snow kept us inside for 4 days! Love your projects and photos, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all that snowshoeing, you deserve all those good treats you baked! I'm trying NOT to bake like that, but I did make the Danish. Oh yum!

    So do you use the modern snowshoes like I have? I will let you know how the traditional wood style works for me. I'll bet you would have liked to have a pair in that deep, soft snow. I find that I sink in with my modern snowshoes whenever there is deep, unpacked snow.

    Love the mittens! I've made a few pair with sweaters/fleece and they really are SO nice. Especially if you use wool sweaters. I'm a mittens lover too. I have used the Kinco Alyeska Wool gloves with good results. The only glove I'd consider in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I pop by your blog I am always in shock of how much you do! You are amazing! I love the mittens and all of your food goodies look delicious! I hope you get some relaxing time in front of a warm fire soon (like tonight!) Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I meant to tell you that I love your Roughed Grouse Art. Smart you, not letting those feathers go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your recipes look delicious! And your cabin is beautiful. Working up all that energy snowshoeing I can see you need these treats! You sure got a lot done in one day plus all the snow-trekking! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am crazy for muffins! All your projects looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE winter projects and winter baking!! your snow is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adventure! Your muffins are the same recipe I cut out of a magazine ages ago called "French Breakfast Puffs". Best served warm, they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, I'm contacting you this way because I don't think I have your email (computer crash). If/when you decide to look for wooden snowshoes, Ebay is pretty good. The trick is getting bindings you like. I'm going to try the rubber bindings, made with rubber tire tube. There's a video on how to make them or you can buy them on Amazon. To me, they look so simple and easy to use.
    How to use:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-x8NcJc2A
    How to make:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqpGLZuiEoU

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.