Sunday, February 19, 2017

February Thaw...


We have seen the 60's and 70's the last couple of days.  It isn't helping my desire to garden.  I have managed to keep busy.  I am currently working on the backyard bird count.  These 8 crows and 1 magpie raised a racket to make sure they were included in the count.
 I'm always looking for projects and I have seen many beneficial bug bungalows.  I have wanted to make one and yesterday while cleaning the beds I had an epiphany the garden has everything I needed to make one.  The stems of the sunflowers, daylilies, and delphiniums are all hollow.  Then in the garage were a couple of hollow birch trunks that I was making into birdhouses.  I decided to repurpose one into a bug house holder.    Then I found an old stick that I had covered in bedsprings, stuck the beneficial bug bungalow on top, then poked it in the snow for a photoshoot.  It needs some tweaking and maybe a stronger stick.  I am pretty pleased with my creation.  I will keep close tabs on it and see if it is just decoration or if it will actually provide refuge for some bugs or butterflies.  



 Keeping with my hygge traditions I made some pumpkin pie white chocolate and drank it in my Danish cup.

Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate
1 1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. pumpkin puree
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
dash of cloves
dash of ginger
dash of salt
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. white chocolate chips

Gently whisk on low heat until the white chocolate chips melt.
www.thefrugalhomemaker.com 


 My husband and I went shed hunting on the prairie property.  Our neighbor had extensive beaver damage.  Funny thing is we never saw where their dam was.  As you can see from their attempts at the giant cottonwood below, they have grandiose plans. 

 We had some results from our search.  The large jar is very interesting as it has thumb divots around the top.  The little half pint bottle will make an excellent vase.  
 It is actually melting up on the mountain also.  I finally found my little hedgehog.  He got covered by the snow, but came out of hibernation.  He is now safely on the porch.  I finally got around to wrapping my roses.  You may think it is too late, but actually winter doesn't kill them.  It is the freezing and thawing in the spring.  I put fencing around them and will stuff them with pine boughs.
 While I was out piddling around my husband has been spending his weekends completing the room above our barn.  It is looking pretty good.  I am very proud of his progress.

He has pretty much done everything on his own.  Once and a while I hold things, but that is about it.  I can't wait to show you the finished product.  It will be fabulous.

Well that is all I have.  Quite a bit actually.  It is amazing how much energy a person has when the weather is nice.  It is supposed to snow on Wednesday, so it will be back to the grind.  That doesn't mean we didn't enjoy the break.  

What is the weather where you are?  Have you been able to see your garden, much less putter around in it?  

10 comments:

  1. I have a bug hotel on my to do list. That hedgehog is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has been very mild and sunny. It makes me want to get out in the gardening too!
    Your room above your barn is beautiful, it looks perfect.
    It has been wonderful to have this break in the weather. We are supposed to be warm all week but I am sure reality will hit shortly.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room above the barn looks wonderful. What are you plans for it? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had no winter to speak of here in Maryland. Yesterday was in the upper 60s today in the 50s and Thursday to peak into the 70s. It must be an early spring for us. Bulbs think so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rode one of my motorcycles for 2 days over the weekend, it was 71 yesterday.I will look forward seeing what your bug hotel attracts, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be watching to see how this works out for you. It's a great idea. I'm going to drill holes in firewood logs to turn them into lodging for Mason bees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to do that for the orchard bees. I think yours looks so nice. I love your little hedgehog, I am so glad you found him and now he is on the porch. That will be a incredible room when its finished. I do love your barn. We just have rain,rain and more rain. I did get area where we put our kitchen garden cleaned of nettles and then it rained and it looks nice so it can soak up the rain. Its been warm here too. All of the trees are blooming. I hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be interesting to see what bugs you gather:) And that room is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the grand finale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bug house looks interesting...although I'm not such a fan of the critters myself! :) Your husband has done a great job on the barn...it looks lovely! We've had unseasonably warm weather all winter long, except for maybe two days. My daffodils are pushing buds already! My husband was wearing shorts today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just LOVE stopping by! It's like a continuation of "Little House on the Prairie!" Your projects excite me and your photos of the wildlife makes me smile. Your hubby's room is amazing and I can't wait to see the finished project, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.