Sunday, March 19, 2017

Back to busy...

Whether I feel good or not, the weather was too nice to not take advantage of a winter respite.  I raked the lawn, planted seeds, planted the green house, and even put up a new piece of garden art I got.
I held off as long as I could, but raking the yard in the spring is a tradition I enjoy.  Now it just needs a rain and it will turn green.
 I managed to plant both flats.  Tomatoes, peppers, luffa, pumpkins, ground cherries, broccoli, squash, some little cucumbers, and a few flower seeds.  I always plant lettuce, spinach, and peas in the greenhouse.  I also planted some chamomile in the tea garden.  

I have seen this little garden decoration on pinterest for a long time now.  I would follow the pin and see it was for sale on e-bay.  Then one day they were gone.  I was very disappointed.  I often suffer from buyers regret, but I also suffer from non-buyers remorse.  When I saw it for sale again, I did not hesitate and bought it.  No regrets.  I think it is wonderful.  One of my goals for the garden this year was to incorporate more art into the garden.

 My bulbs, rhubarb, and peonies are coming up.  I am especially excited that the peonies I am babysitting for my sister seem to have survived the winter.  They didn't look very good last year, so I'm happy I didn't kill them.

 Of course I have to bake something over the weekend.  This time my husband requested some Famous Amos Cookies.  They are tiny, but packed with yumminess.  
Famous Amos Cookies
1/2 c. shortning
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/4 c. milk
2 c. flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 c. mini chocolate chips
Mix shortening, butter, sugars, egg, vanilla, and milk.  Slowly add flour soda and salt.  Fold in the chips.  Use a teaspoon (yes, a teaspoon) to scoop them onto the baking sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for 16 minutes.
My brother made me this cup out of clay.  I love it.  It fits my had perfectly and keeps my water cold.  I am lucky to have such a talented brother.  

That was my weekend of adventure.  Both days it got up into the high 60's.  I guess it is supposed to stay warm.  I'm sure we will get some more snow, but I will enjoy it while I can.  Has anyone else started their seeds?  What is your favorite thing to plant?  I think mine are the tomatoes.  Hope you are having good weather.  

12 comments:

  1. I think we'll have to bake some cookies with the grands today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy, We finally had a beautiful day on the weekend. We too raked ~ a ton! Hubby rototilled the garden & I weeded and pruned the thyme. It felt so good to be out playing in the dirt.
    PS ~ We must be in similar zones; our rhubarb and peonies are at about the same stage as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Spring today! I'm hoping our weather acts more like spring here in western PA but I doubt if it will...but there is hope. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up ground cherries... they sound like something I might be able to grow. They are a nightshade, though, so I'll have to be careful to manage the quantity I eat. Love your new yard art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put in tomatoes also last night. I start peppers a little earlier since they generally have more days until harvest. It was nice to have you along on my walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only seeds that we have sown are leeks, lettuce and broad beans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't started my seeds yet. But I think I enjoy planting peppers and tomatoes. I just love seeing them pop up. I love your sculpture. Your brother's cup to you is wonderful. My SIL is a potter. I am just amazed watching him throw pots and such.
    We have rain now in our forecast for a week. Its a cold storm so I haven't planted as of yet. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooh you are off to an awesome start!! i really like famous amos, i did not know there was a copycat recipe, they look so yummy!!

    pretty yard art, something i would like to have in my yard!!! and that's a pretty cup too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie you have been busy! I'm glad to hear someone is getting a nice start to gardening. I've had a couple of gardening thoughts dance through my mind, but it is much to early to think about gardening on the prairie.

    I hope you are feeling good and doing well. May the sunshine and spirng like temperatures bring you peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie, I've not planted anything in flats yet for the garden. Last year I started a little too early and my plants got leggy, even under a grow light. So I'm holding off for a little while longer. It's always mid-May before anything can go into the ground here anyway. My rhubarb is poking up and the tulips and daffodils sending up spears.

    Love the garden art and the pottery cup is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the garden ornament. It is wonderful when the whole space evolves within time and reflects what we like and who we are. The never ending story.
    My paeonies are also emerging nicely through the soil and hopefully this year there will be more flowers then five ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy that Spring is finally peeking up in your neck of the woods. It's glorious to see the new buds and color that the season brings, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.