Sunday, November 11, 2018

I'd rather be baking...

Today the wind was blowing snow everywhere.  It was the perfect day to stay in the house and bake.  There were several Pinterest recipes I wanted to try.  This morning I made Scottish Pancakes.  I've wanted to try making them for sometime.  They were perfect.  Sorry, no pictures.  I'm not the most astute in the mornings.  You can find the recipe at diethood.com.

Scottish Pancakes
Mix 1                                            Mix 2
1 c. flour                                       1 egg
2 t. baking powder                      3/4 c. 2 T. milk
1/2 t. cinnamon                            1 t. vanilla
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
Blend mix 1 and mix 2 together.  Heat griddle and coat with a thin layer of oil.  Drop batter by 1/4 cup.  Wait until the top bubbles and flip.  Then heat until golden brown.  Delicious.

Next was some Raspberry Chocolate Chip Biscotti.  I found this recipe at thebakermama.com

Raspberry Choclolate Biscotti
1/2 c. butter            3 c. flour                              3/4 c. frozen raspberries
1 c. sugar                3 t. baking powder             3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
2 eggs                      1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla              

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Slowly add dry ingredients.  Gently fold in raspberries and chocolate chips.  Divide dough in half and shape into rectangular loaves.  Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Cool for 15 minutes then cut into slices.  Flip slices on the sides and bake for 15 more minutes.  Flip again and bake an additional 10 minutes.  Enjoy with coffee.
 The final recipe is Cinnamon Spice Sugar Cookies.  I wanted to try a different type of sugar cookie.  They turned out pretty good.  
Cinnamon Spice Sugar Cookies
Mix 1                               Mix 2                                        Frosting
2 3/4 c. flour                   3/4 c. butter                              2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. baking powder        1 c. sugar                                  1/2 t. vanilla
1 t. salt                            2 eggs                                        1/4 c. milk
2 t. cinnamon                 2 t. vanilla                                 1/4 t. cinnamon
1. t nutmeg
1 t. ginger 
Blend the dry and butter mixtures together.  Chill for 1 hour.  Roll out and cut into shapes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.   Top with frosting.  You can find the recipe at houseofyumm.com
Not only did I get the baking done, but I cleaned my closet and the junk drawers.  Yesterday was the opening of hunting season.  I spent the day out at our prairie property.  I saw lots of deer.  I even saw a 3 legged buck that seemed to get around just fine.  There is nothing better than a day outdoors observing nature. The ducks and geese were everywhere.  The sounds of their quacks and honks filling the fall air.  I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot.  I have a few more weeks.  Do you see the doe in the background of the photo below?  He's looking for love in all the wrong places.

I am a lucky person that I can spend one day outdoors enjoying nature and the next in a cozy cabin baking like crazy.  How did you spend your weekend?  When was the last time you tried a new recipe?  I have to say all three of mine were a thumbs up.  

A huge thank you to all of the Veterans out there.  I appreciate your service.  I understand that freedom is not free.

6 comments:

  1. I try new recipes all the time but mainly for dinners. We are now eating more vegetable based meals so I sort out my recipes on a weekly basis and usually have new things each week.

    I don't tend to bake though on the principle that if I do we eat too much sweet stuff. My sister bakes a lot and so we have our treats when we visit each week.

    I've only had Scotch pancakes once when staying in a hotel and they were tasteless, no doubt commercially produced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd rather be baking too...but then I eat it! :) I will be trying your biscotti recipe though, maybe even today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when it gets cold the recipes fly around me. Love to bake, it is therapeutic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm! Lovely baking, Bonnie! I like your running story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to spend a day outside like that. I can only imagine. Your recipes sound so good.
    I think it sounds cozy to stay inside when its nice and cold. I made something that was interesting last week. It was called Cinnamon Roll Cake. It was really good and easy, and then my grand kids thought I should make it with apples. Which I did. Its easy and versatile. I bet even blueberries would work. I just layered the cake like you would lasagna. Ending with the cake on top. I need to make it again. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baking sounds delish! I haven't tried anything new lately, but I did bake your puff pastry Danish last year and we just loved it. I don't bake as much as I used to because we are trying to stay away from too many sweets.

    I see the doe! I hope you get your deer.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.