Sunday, December 8, 2019

Goal achieved...

If you have read my blog very often you know I love bread.  Any bread, I'm not picky.  When I was a little girl our neighbors would make lefse.  A Norwegian flat bread made with potatoes, cream, and butter.   I was always a bit confused that it was a Norwegian bread, since our neighbors were not Norwegian.  That was the best bread!  I could have eaten a whole batch.  It has always been a goal of mine to make lefse.  For some reason, it seemed a very intimidating task.  Not anymore.  Today I made lefse for the first time.  It was far easier than I imagined.

First, I took a bowl of leftover mashed potatoes.  I  think it was about 3 cups.  I added 1/2 c. Cream, 1 t. Salt, 2 t. Sugar, 1/2 c. Butter, and 2 c. Flour.  I mixed all up and rolled them into little balls.  I set them in the fridge for an hour.
I lightly rolled them out, being extremely generous with the flour.
I then laid the flat bread on a hot griddle.  The dough will start to bubble.  After about 3-4 minutes, flip it.  Then let that side sit for 3 minutes.  Lay the warm lefse on a flour sack towel and cover.  Continue to stack them in this manner.  Wipe the flour off of the grill with a wet clothes before putting another piece on the grill.
I am super happy with the end result.  I was very thankful I found a great YouTube video on the process.  "Let's make Lefse" by bcgaub.  Those ladies were wonderful.

That was the highlight of my weekend.  I am so glad I finally just dove in and tried making lefse.  A little lifetime goal achieved.  What is something you have always wanted to try making?


6 comments:

  1. I made those by accident a week or two ago. I didn't know they had a name. That's awesome. And kudos for making it over that hurdle. (Why do some things seem like they should be difficult?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try your recipe but use corn flour instead since I don't eat gluten. This may be just what I have been looking for! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really different and delicious - was it just single cream

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it really a potato pancake?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE bread too...any bread, for me it is a food group!!

    the lefse looks yummy, especially with potatoes as that is my second favorite "food group"!!

    your snow looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! I just might have to try these. I've always wanted to be able to make crusty bread like I tasted in Germany!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.