Sunday, May 17, 2020

A plethora of piddling...

 It was a beautiful day today.  The seedlings were ready to plant and it looks like the weather will be good for awhile.  I put the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, luffas, and cilantro in tubs.  I put the squash, melons, and zucchini outside.  There was a plethora of piddling around filling planters, planting flowers seeds, gladiolus, and cleaning.  About an hour after planting the seedlings, I checked to see how they were doing in the heat.  They were gone. A mouse had nipped them down to the nub.  Only one of six was left.  I quickly put a plastic collar over my remaining squash.  Ten minutes later it was gone too.  So much for that.


Last fall I stuffed my geraniums and nasturiums in this planter and put it by the basement door.  Lo and behold they did great.  

Words can't describe how good it was to get outside.  I look forward to coffee on the porch tommorow morning while I survey my domain and ponder how to grow a garden that feeds me and not the critters.  Any advice on keeping seedlings safe?

6 comments:

  1. That is a real shame about your seedlings! My husband built me some low wire panels that I can put over seedlings in the garden until they can get big enough, so I don't lose everything to cute little marauding bunny rabbits. Isn't it wonderful when the weather finally turns around? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to smile - piddling has a very different meaning here. I wish that I had the definitive answer to keeping pests at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure it was a mouse? I never realized they would eat seedlings. Voles, yes. How disappointing for you. Other than lots of mouse traps I don't know what to suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie! I'm thinking about the same thing. I thought the rabbits ate my nasturtium seedlings, but there are a few still there. Last year they ate a lot of new growth in my front flower bed, so this year I'm going to get bigger bedding plants. It's rough!
    I plan on planting zinnia seeds today. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have always grown my vegetable garden in pots, on my deck. i have never had trouble with yard animals getting in to them. i have bunnies, squirrels, raccoons....etc and nothing eats them, i don't know why!! i started with seeds and everything was strong and healthy when i moved it outside. it has felt good to get outside, i have been enjoying my new, electric bike so much----nice to have a breeze on my face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, to drink coffee on the porch - I need a porch. Alas, someday:-)
    Hope you can get more squash going and keep them away from little munchers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.