Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Tomato Taj Mahal...


Here is my new Tomato Taj Mahal.  I love it.  This weekend I finished the patio and most of the retaining wall on the right.  This one is much taller and the bench is along the side instead of at the back.  The bench will be great next year because I grow most of my peppers in wash tubs.  I think I will even have room to grow some tomatoes in tubs.  Here in the hills it is almost impossible to grow tomatoes and peppers without a greenhouse.  The season is too short and it never gets super hot.  Below is the bench with my tubs and little garden potting bench kit.  I was pretty worried about transplanting my tomatoes from the tubs to the ground of the greenhouse.  Turns out they did great and didn't miss a beat.  



My chamomile has been blooming like crazy.  It is contained in a water tank.  If you aren't careful it will take over the garden.  I use the flowers for tea, an amazing hair detangler, and facial toner.  Because it is so plentiful I am going to try making a wine with it.  It will be an interesting endeavor.  Who would have thought dandelions would make a good wine?  It never hurts to try.  The rest of my outdoor vegetable beds are making progress.  My first round of sweet corn is knee high by the Fourth of July.  The green beans are also doing fabulous.   

My roses are doing great.  One of my favorite quotes is by Richard Sheridan, "Won't you come into my garden?  I want my roses to see you."

                                                For the first time ever my poppies are plentiful.


The butterfly bed is beautiful.  It has been too dry to use the fire pit.  With the tomatoes in transplanted in the greenhouse, the tub was open for a different use.  Leftover flowers are on sale and it was easy to find some to make a mobile hummingbird heaven. 



If you have a smoker this is the perfect summer recipe:  Smoked S'mores Ice Cream
2 cups of milk
2 cups of cream
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 Tablespoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Mix well in an oven proof bowl.  Put the bowl in the smoker.  Spread 1 jar of marshmallow cream on an aluminum pan place it in the smoker.  Place 1/2 bag of chocolate chips in an oven proof pan and in the smoker.  While everything is smoking, crush one sleeve of graham crackers.  Smoke the ice cream mix, marshmallow cream, and chocolate at 150 degrees.  After an hour remove the ice cream mix and put it in the ice cream maker.  Let it do its thing.  Leave the chocolate and marshmallow cream in the smoker at 150 degrees until the ice cream is done.  Swirl in the chocolate, marshmallow cream, and graham crackers.  Freeze over night.  Then enjoy.




Do you make homemade ice cream?  Are the fireflies out where you are?  I've been watching them every night.  I hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July.  

4 comments:

  1. My daughter has a smoker. I'll share the recipe with her.
    Your garden looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive new greenhouse! I love the bench and the darling box for your gardening tools! Has fire season already started in your area? We've had a remarkable cool start to summer with a thick marine layer that isn't burning off until mid-afternoon most days. Not great for the tomatoes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don’t have fireflies here. We grow most of out tomatoes indoors too but on a good year can harvest quite a few fruits from ones grown outdoors unless they fall foul of blight

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Taj Mahal is awesome!! i don't make ice cream, but i am a baker!!

    we have fireflies here and i really enjoy watching them....

    we had a very nice, but quiet 4th of july!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.