Sunday, June 2, 2024

A buzz...

You probably think my title is about bees, but actually it is about the return of my hummingbirds.  Last night while I was enjoying the fire pit, the female hummingbird started zipping around.  She is actually very quiet and just makes a low hum.  But this morning we were awakened by the male hummingbird, and I promise he makes quite the squeaking racket. We could hear him as he went completely around the cabin and checked out everything of interest.  Silly little bird. 
. 
That isn't to say I don't have plenty of bees around.  This makes me very happy, because about 15 years ago there wasn't a bee to be seen.  Not even my bumbling bumble bees.  That is when I asked a friend if he would like to keep his bees on our property.  I promised flower gardens and orchards.

It brings me great joy to sit in the orchard picking dandelions and surrounded by every type of bee imaginable.  I think there is a quote that says the hum of bees is the voice of a garden and I must agree.  There is nothing more entertaining than watching those bumblebees try to navigate delicate flowers.


It is slowly warming up, though the winds are still very cool.  At least I am able to enjoy go outside the birds, bees, and blooms.  It will be a while before I have any berries.  What about you?  Any birds? Bees? Berries? Blooms?  Hummingbirds?

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm very similar to you, so enjoying the return of the hummingbirds (I have a feeder at the front of the house and one at the back) and loving the bees. I don't understand peoples' fear of bees. I think of them as such lovely little creatures. Now, wasps are a different story... -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed checking out the densely blooming apple trees and lilac bushes (here in COLO) because of all the bees. Haven't put out a feeder for the hummers yet but there are plenty of feeders in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two hummingbird feeders because they go through one so fast. I'm seeing butterflies, bumble bees, and hear lots of birds but don't always see them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have humming birds but plenty of other species. Robins and blackbirds soon appear when we are working on the allotment. They are ever hopeful that we will disturb tasty bugs. I was weeding the broad beans which were abuzz with bees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't fee the hummingbirds as we have a horrid bear problem and they drink that down like water when they find it. But we have birds. We have eastern blue birds nesting this year for the first time. So exciting to see all the activity.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am excited to say i have all of the above!! your images are in perfect focus, they are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos! It is wonderful that you have the birds , bees and butterflies to watch and to enjoy! We have honeybees and once in a while we see a bumble bee . A lot of lovely butterflies are in and out of the petals of the flowers here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hummers are endlessly entertaining!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.