Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Heigh-Hoe heigh-hoe it is off to work we go...

There is always a project at our cabin.  Especially in the spring.  After a long winter you just have to get out and work.  This year's project is to clear the area next to the cabin, have it leveled, plant grass, trees and shrubs.  In a few more years we will add a barn.  One side will be a greenhouse.  Of course, that sold me on the plan.






Words cannot describe how much Ella enjoys the cutting of trees.  She seriously thinks we are cutting them just for her.  She is very smart and stays back when the tree is being cut, but the second it hits the ground she goes running towards it barking in rapture because she has all of these new sticks to chew on.  I can tell you it is very cute, until you try to pile branches and she drags them off to her shady spot in the yard.
Look at those wood chips fly. The trees are cut down and the wood is cut up for firewood. He left the stumps tall, so it would be easy to get them out. It may seem odd that we would cut down half an acre of woods, but we have 20 acres and it is thick forest.  

At this point there is some serious progress and tons of firewood.  Our friends, Rob and Heather, came with their children to take the firewood.  It was hard work, but a lot of fun.  After loading three truckloads, we were  all beat.  Luckily, someone had foresight enough to make homemade chocolate ice cream.  We enjoyed a nice break on the porch eating ice cream and visiting.  It was a great weekend.
It doesn't look very good right now, but if there is one thing I have learned in life it is that things usually are worse before they get better.  (That kind of speaks towards my style of cleaning house:)  I will keep you updated on this project.

12 comments:

  1. That's some major clearing.


    messulaterthemp

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! LOVE the bit about your style of cleaning house.... MINE TOO! I'd rather be crafting or gardening. TOO bad I don't have a maid...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. what exciting times. we are clearing someo of our woods for new fence and the cattle to graze. its fun accomplish something so big! thanks for all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a big project, but how nice it will be when it's finished! Your Ella reminds me of our Murphy...loves to be in the middle of the action! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow 20 acres of woods. It must be such an amazingly beautiful spot..so peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is going to look beautiful. Have a wonderful Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when we cut up a couple of trees that had fallen, and the hard work--I can only look at your pictures and only imagine all the work there is to do. But I agree, it'll be great when it's done, and I'm glad you're finding the fun in the big job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great site for a garage and greenhouse. My husband has never understood that concept of cleaning and making the house look worse before it gets better, but I guess I roll like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky to have so much space! One day I hope we can have more. Looks like you got a lot accomplished. Can't wait to watch the progress. What will live in your barn?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are sure hard workers! Ella's a darling.

    Happy Easter,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful day and I bet the chocolate ice cream was the "icing" on the top of it;-) I agree about things getting worse before better and my mother always said..."patience is a virtue." Happy Easter, dear friend, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that looks like a big project and a lot of work!! i love your supervisor ella....happy easter weekend, i hope you get to see the easter bunny!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.