Sunday, May 5, 2013

Something old is new again in the garden...

I do have a little color in the garden.  My crocus are up.  They are such happy and hardy little flowers.  I didn't just spend the day wandering around looking at crocus flowers. I worked hard on my vegetable garden today.  We had some old fencing, some old wheels, some re bar, old silverware, a broken flower pot, odd sized wine bottles, and used corks. Put it all together and you have a garden. 
 

  I can't wait until it is warm enough to plant peas and beans.  I plan on running string from the spokes on the wheel to the holes in the faucet handle.  Then the beans can grow up them.  I'm sure it should be taller, but that is all I have for now.  I will keep looking until I find the perfect combination.  I did try planting some spinach and lettuce.  It may be a bit early.  I guess I will find out. 
  I have seen so many good ideas on Pinterest.  I saw the idea of using corks for markers and have found it to be very useful.  Then add using an old fork to hold the cork and you have a grand plan.  I planted my onions, some dill, and cilantro.  The garlic, asparagus, and chives are already up.                                     
As always, I had the company of my gardening companion, Ella.  She finally realized I wasn't going to throw pine cones for her, so she just soaked in the sun.
It is amazing how much I managed to do with just stuff that was laying around the place.  I'm keeping my eyes open for an old garden gate.  I also plan on making some stepping stones using rhubarb leaves and concrete.  It will take time, but I'm further ahead than I thought I would be at this time.  Now if we just don't get anymore snow...

16 comments:

  1. This afternoon we drove over to Sundance, down to Four Corners and home on Hwy 85 through the top of Spearfish Canyon and there was still quite a bit of snow up by O'Neill Pass and still some in the Canyon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to hear that your snow is melting and you finally have some flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie I love your gardening partner Ella she looks very helpful:)
    What great ideas for your garden it is gong to look incredible once it is all planted and growing. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you can finally get into your garden, and I like the things you're using! What fun that must be, after a long winter. I'm eager to see the stepping stones that you make. Keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh! Beautiful crocus! Your garden props are awesome! Love the cork on fork idea for labeling... and the bean trellis is a grand idea too! Welcome Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didnt think anyone was as late to Spring as we have been! Crocus just up?? Ella is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cork and a fork...thanks for the cool plant label idea! Ella is a beauty. I look forward to watching your garden grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've had such an extended winter so seeing these Crocus puts a smile on my face; I know you love spending time in the garden and it sounds like you've been busy. Happy planting, dear friend, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Bonnie,
    Loving all of your reclaimed garden treasures in your raised beds...:)
    Would you mind sending me your address again?
    I've misplaced it and I've got your apron all ready to put in the mail...!
    Thanks so much,
    Deb
    dboz4@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. The corks on forks are a great idea! Love the crocus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so pretty. I have always wanted to make steps that way too.
    I think they are awesome.
    I can't wait to see how it looks after everything is growing. It looks like it was a very nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of making stepping stones using rhubarb leaves for patterns! Brilliant! I like your rustic garden ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this post -- love the forks/wine corks idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing Ella resting in some warm sun ... hope you are snow free now and enjoying that garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh i love this entry, so many wonderful ideas!!

    i adore pinterest, great creative ideas and awesome recipes!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.