Sunday, December 1, 2013

Why I hunt...

 
Today was a beautiful day to hunt.  I didn't see many deer.  One little buck went by me at 15 yards.  That didn't spoil the day.  As you can see I'm not just in it for the deer.  Here are a few other things I saw.
 
A curious coon...
I was serenaded by a huge flock of Cedar Waxwings.  I always knew they were handsome birds, but I never realized how wonderful their song is.


 The geese were flying South in droves.
The geese brought back memories of growing up on the Missouri River.  When I was a kid autumn was filled with honking.  Here in the hills we only hear them fly over at night during heavy cloud cover.  Bear Butte was beautiful bathed in the evening light.  It made the walk home after an unsuccessful hunt more enjoyable.
I didn't go home empty handed.  Mother Nature left me a small present.
Then she put on an amazing show! 
 

 
I hope this helps explain why one would hunt.  Yes, I enjoy the meat and the thrill of the chase, but I also enjoy just spending a day in nature.


14 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos ! I love getting lost in the beauty of nature ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are lovely! I'm not a hunter, but I can see why you enjoy hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Mother Nature certainly did put on a show. Last day of deer hunting here in Wisconsin, I don't hunt, but I'm sure glad others do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sunset! I especially love the photo of the raccoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sunset! My Dad was a hunter, but Jim is not...however he talks about how he thinks that even though he doesn't get excited about the hunt, he would enjoy the chance to just get out in nature and sit...it would be beautiful, and a nice way to "get away".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother Nature is truly the best. I can see you smiling she does that for me too. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely times, one of the joys with my going out. A bit of a surplus of deer here at start of bow hunting, but they tend to hide better by the time shotgun , rifle and pistol season arrives. Had some nice Bambi burger blended with bacon ends last night a neighbor brought over. Saw a buck with 10 does Saturday, so rut is still here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you posted that photo of the cedar waxwings...I am pretty sure that's what I saw in a tree and took a photo of. But try as I could, I just couldn't figure out what they were. Now I am pretty sure, they are cedar waxwings...sitting on top of the golden fir.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! I don't actually hunt myself but I enjoy going out with those who do. It's very relaxing and just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photos are amazing and you truly are a Prairie Woman! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Piękne ptaki, które nas też odwiedzają. Widoki zachodu słońca są wspaniałe. Pozdrawiam.
    Beautiful birds, which we also visited. The views are magnificent sunset. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie, those are stunning photos of the sun setting. Amazing color. It was so nice to see pics of Cedar Waxwings. We would get a flock of them occasionally in the early fall at our old house along the Columbia River. Now that we are in town, I have not seen them. I enjoyed their songs as well. Hoping you are staying warm with the cold snap that is hitting just about everywhere! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous nature shots.
    My mountain man hunts , cleans, cuts up, and eats what he shoots.
    I don't hunt and it took a while for me to adjust , but I understand his wholesome views and perspective now. Of course I have always eaten meat so am not hypercrital about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you did have a successful hunt with all those beautiful captures! Wouldn't our world be in a better state if everybody got out and connected with nature once in awhile!! Thanks for sharing and I love your snowy swing header!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.