Sunday, June 29, 2014

A new addition...

Ok, we finally finished the last addition to the vegetable garden.  I still need a few more wheels to finish the last section of the fence.  
 To set the wheels we drill through the metal and then anchor them with strong screws.  I really like that the wheels are all different.   I don't plan on going all the way around the garden.  Just to the end and then make it taller.
 There is no way the sweet corn will be knee high by the 4th of July.  The chipmunks also seem to have pilfered a few seeds.  My herbs at the top are doing great.  
The inside is also productive.  As soon as the lettuce and spinach outside gets a little bigger I will pull them from the inside and start another set.  The bok choy is huge and I can't eat it fast enough.  Note for next year:  four seeds would be fine!  The broccoli doesn't seem to be heading out any time soon.   
The vegetable bed is now perfect.  Ok, maybe I'll make a bean tower for next year.  It will be interesting to see how the harvest is this year.  The cold wet weather has slowed down the outer beds.  It may have been a mistake putting the broccoli in the greenhouse with the beans.  Less bok choy would also be helpful.  Some where in that mess is a huge carrot.  It is about the only one that germinated.   It amazes me how I went from no vegetables to a greenhouse and 3 outer beds.  Another gardening challenge accepted. 

9 comments:

  1. You have come a long way:) Beautiful just beautiful. Enjoy Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wheels, they are really charming. I got a few more succulents to add to my many. The new Better Homes mag has some neat plantings of them and a few more I would like to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The greenhouse plants are huge! How do you get the bees inside the greenhouse? Is there a door that opens so they can fly in but caterpillars stay out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a nifty garden set-up! I like that you can start some things early before you can ever plant outdoors. Beautiful things growing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks awesome - the wheels do look really nice. I am sorry those naughty chipmunks have been pilfering. They're just so cute though, I could forgive chipmunks anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fence! The wheels bring back memories of a lovely coffee table that my grandfather (on the other side of the family from the side that I write about on my blog) made using a wagon wheel as the starting point. He inserted wood between each of the spokes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wagon wheels are perfect! I'm looking for one now to place on a post at the end of our driveway...just like my mom had:-). The garden looks amazing! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your wheels! I think that is such a great idea. Isn't it funny how one tiny garden seems to grow each year? My first garden was about a 10x10 square and that may be too big. Now well you know how big my garden has grown.
    I wish I could grow bok choy. I plan on growing some just to make Kimchi I have never fermented foods and I would love to try that. I think every thing is so pretty and green. I just like looking at it all.
    Have a wonderful week, I didn't have corn by the Forth either. :) Mine is just now making ears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all looking wonderful! Darn chipmunks. (But they are cute.)

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.