Sunday, December 21, 2014

Projects projects...

I've been keeping busy the last few weeks on several different projects.  Some were successful and others not so much.  My homemade bath bombs was a pass fail.  They were a huge mess to make and didn't turn out pretty, but they do work quite well in the tub.  They left my skin feeling soft and silky smooth.

Oatmeal Bath Bombs
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. oatmeal 
2 T. citric acid
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. almond oil
1 T. water
Mix dry ingredients, slowly add oil, then water.  Press into molds and remove after 12 hours.  The site didn't mention they would explode out of their molds like an 8th grade volcano science project.  It was ugly and messy, but they did work great.

http://myfrugaladventures.com/2014/03/homemade-oatmeal-bath-bombs/


Next I had some cucumber leftover.  I have been wanting to try this toner forever.  

Cooling Cucumber Toner
1/2 cucumber with peel, chopped
3 T. Witch Hazel
2 T. distilled water
Put all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Pour the mixture through a food processor and blend until smooth.  Pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove all of the solids, then pour into a clean bottle with a tight fitting lid.  Store in the refrigerator so it will last longer.  It didn't last more than 3 weeks, so it was a disappointment.

http://www.herbsandoilsremedies.com/2013/07/diy-cooling-cucumber-face-toner.html 

My next project was making serviceberry syrup. I got this recipe from the Ball canning cookbook.

Service Berry Syrup
2 quarts of berries
6 c. water
1 T. lemon peel
3 c. sugar
2 T. lemon juice

Boil berries for 15 minutes.  Sieve through cheesecloth.  Combine with sugar and boil until 230 F.  Add lemon peel and juice.  Boil another 20 minutes.  Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.




I finished a wood project that I started this summer.  It took me a while to figure out how to put the handles on this breakfast tray.  
 Finally, some food.  I've been craving chocolate, so I gave these two projects a try.  This is just pomegranate between melted dark chocolate chocolate chips.  I really like this.  It is the perfect blend between sweet and juicy.
I got the idea from the following blog.  I've made it in cupcake tins and didn't think it worked very well.  This time I put them in a little cake pan lined with tin foil.  I was much happier with the results.

http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/recipes/dessert/the-best-chocolate-covered-pomegranate-recipe-ever/
I have my chocolate fix now.  I also made these Brigadeiros.  They are a Brazilian version of a bon bon.
Brigadeiro
3 T. Dutch Processed Cocoa (I just used plain old cocoa)
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 T. unsalted butter
Heat over medium heat for 10 minutes.  Let cool until you can roll it into a ball.  Then roll in a topping of your choice.  YUM.

http://whatsgabycooking.com/brigadeiro/#.VJdnBl4BTA

There you have it some winter projects.  Some were great others were ok.  I am sure everyone else is busy with Christmas projects.  What are some of your favorites?

5 comments:

  1. I made way too much candy. I was having so much fun I forgot how many I was making it for. It beaconed me into the kitchen to eat too often. After giving it away I was grouchy for a few days having sugar deficiencies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE the breakfast try and the chocolate of course. You are an adventurer for sure. At least you tried i have never tried anything like those you say failed:) Good for you. Enjoy your holidays. HUG B

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wood tray is beautiful. Is it a gift or just for you? The chocolate pomegranate looks yummy. I love to just eat pomegranates plain. I've been baking a couple kinds of cookies.....cherry kiss cookies and tonight I'm making our old standby -- soft molasses. They're very gingersnapish without the snap. I added a little cayenne to the spices this time.

    I cut some fresh juniper to put around the house today. I love the smell.

    We had just an inch of snow and lots of wind with it. Sounds like you really got a good dumping. I'm always glad when the Hills get a good snow. Are your snowshoes ready to go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been also experiments in my kitchen. I tried pulling sugar for the first time. Although it tasted great, I had blobs of mess all over.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.