Sunday, April 24, 2016

Something old is new again with leftover lumber...

It has been awhile since I posted about something old becoming new again.   Last year around this time we bought some property out on the Belle Fourche River.  There was a pile of lumber left by the previous owner and I have had it in the back of my mind since we got the place.  I was certain I could make a couple of Aldo Leopold benches from these leftover scraps.   This weekend we went out to the property to plant a some plum trees.  I knew it was supposed to rain and snow again, so I grabbed up the lumber as we left.   I searched Pinterest for various plans.   None were very comprehensive.  I came across a couple that were helpful.  I liked this template the best.

http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/simplebenchplans.html
simple bench plans:
All I needed to buy was:
6 bolts 3 1/2 inches long
12 washers
6 hex nuts
8 exterior deck screws 3 inches long

Of course that is doubled, since I am making 2 benches.  I didn't need to buy deck screws, because we already have plenty.

The lumber was cut to size and the bench assembled.   The 3 foot and 18 inch boards are secured with three bolts.  The seat is secured to the 18 inch boards with two deck screws and then the back is attached.  One of the plans had a flat back and another kept with the original angle of the board. The original angle is by far more comfortable.  You can see both below.  


Sorry the photos are not the greatest.  It was raining outside.  I will take more photos when everything dries out and I can sand and stain them.  Still I am very excited.  Two benches for a grand total of $31 and that was just for the bolts.  

It was dry yesterday and we were able to go out and plant three plum trees in the orchard.  We planted a Toka, Pembina, and a Black Ice.  I am very anxious to see how my mountain and prairie orchards do this year.  Last year we had a late frost and there wasn't much of a harvest. This year I am sure it will be a plethora of fruits and berries.  At least I hope so.
There are a few flower photos at the end.  A little bedraggled after snow and hail, but beautiful nonetheless.

Does anyone else have some projects in the works?  

8 comments:

  1. Nice job and very handy to have. Soon it will be bursting with colour in your garden. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun project! I'm glad you included pictures, because I was trying to picture what kind of bench it would be without googling the name. :) Do it yourself projects are so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the bench. I enjoy having them around the yard so I can find a different angle to watch all grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bench looks great Bonnie! They will be a handy addition. I love using what is on hand to make something "new." Recently made that chicken tractor from mostly scraps and free stuff:). What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have almost bench like yours ,it is near my small front yard garden ,flowers are beauyiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love benches like that. What a great job! Your flowers and trees look wonderful. Not many projects right now, wind and thundershowers and hail have been keeping us from working like normal. I do have projects lined up though. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have built that bench. It's called a simple bench in the plans I had. My husband then worked with me to build 3 more. We have had them at the fire pit. One is now with daughter Sarah under her arbor. The other three will go on sale at an online auction next week with the fire pit and lots of other household goods we will no longer need in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie,
    Neat benches! Simple and functional. I hope you have good luck with your plum trees.

    I'm not currently working on any projects. Every time I think about a project, something comes up. We are still calving and thinking about branding. Even with the recent moisture we seem to be keeping busy.

    We got snow today. We are thinking 8 inches maybe more and it's was still snowing after supper. It's heavy wet snow and between 31* and 33*

    Did you get snow in the Hills?

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.