Friday, July 15, 2016

Finally, I am off the porch...

I have had a few nudges to get off the porch.  I haven't posted for two weeks, because we enjoyed some quality time with family and friends.  We visited with family in Minnesota, where I am always enamored with the diverse plants.  I also share my love of birdwatching with my mother-in-law.
 Then when we got home I was grateful to be able to spend a week with my friend from Denmark.  We had a wonderful time relaxing and visiting. She always appreciates the South Dakota sun.  It was 45 degrees and raining in her homeland, while she enjoyed 70's, 80's, and even a day in the 90's here.
Although it was a busy few weeks, it was certainly worth it.  Time with family and friends never gets old.  Christina also reminds me of how lucky I am to live somewhere with wonderful summers.  She always says,  "Summer in Denmark is the nicest day of the year."   I always think our summers are short, but I believe she has me beat.  

The gardens are holding tough despite the heat.  My poppies and cosmos are blooming.  Along with the daylilies and clematis.

I am excited as it is now berry picking time.   I've already picked a gallon of raspberries, a few wild strawberries, and my Bali Cherry is going nuts.  I should have enough of those to make a pie and perhaps even have some leftover for Cherry/Baily's Irish Cream Ice Cream.  I've gotta try that.  I also think the goose berries are ripe.  I still don't know enough to tell for sure, but I'll find out this weekend.









 This weekend my goal is to pick berries, catch up on blogs, and make jam.  What are you looking forward to doing in the late fall?


10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have been having a lovely summer so far. Those berries look good! Happy jam making! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to enjoy family and friends...isn't that what summer is all about? Lazy afternoons with a glass of something cool in hand? We picked our strawberries and raspberries last month and froze them. We enjoyed strawberry shortcake for dessert during the 4th (It's the one time of the year I'll entertain the entire extended family) and this fall, I might make some raspberry jam. I think the boy child would like that. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You asked about late fall? Summer is just half over. There are many more days to come. Looking forward to a family reunion at a new retreat center I discovered. There will be 30 of us - 10 of whom are children 8 and under with three of those under 1! Looking forward to babysitting the granddaughter in NH for a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, enjoyed your post so,Blessings Francine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ARE blessed to have the very best summers here! The grandkids and I are picking the chokecherries right now. Made a little jelly with them. Beautiful summer photos, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want my dad to make me some chokecherry wine. I don't make it. I've read about it but think it sounds complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gallon of raspberries?! I'm jealous! I'd be making some jelly, for sure. We're in the middle of a hot, hazy, humid summer here. Typical for PA,so I'm looking forward to the coolness of fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonnie,
    Glad you had a chance to go on a trip, enjoy family and time with friends. Priceless!

    Enjoy your garden produce, sounds like you are going to be busy.

    We got hail last Thursday evening and it wiped out my garden. We did enjoy lots of lettuce and three cucumbers before the destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got 10 gallons of cherries from one tree. I want to make some ice cream bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice to get to visit "in person." Most of our berries aren't quite ready yet so you're ahead of us there. Enjoy them while they last😊

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.