Sunday, November 19, 2017

Fur and Feathers...

I was hunting last weekend.  I filled both my archery and rifle tags.  This weekend was spent processing my harvest.  Our freezer is stocked with 5lbs of Italian sausage, 5 lbs of summer sausage, and 5 lbs of breakfast sausage, numerous roasts, stew meat, and more unprocessed meat.  My husband made jerky on the smoker.  I still have more to jerk and grind, but I will do that later.  I wanted to taste test some new recipes before I committed all of my deer meat to a new recipe.
Nature provided plenty of entertainment while I was in the kitchen.  The turkeys are oblivious to the fact that Thanksgiving is only five days away.  If they were aware of the main entree I don't think they would be so bold.

The rut is on here and all day we watched the bucks chase does.  It began with this little nubber.
Slowly, the parade of deer produced more bucks.
This guy saw movement in the window and thought there may be a doe around.

It was hard to get anything done.  Every time we looked out the window there was a different group of deer.  This fella was a dandy.   He checked out the turkeys to make sure a doe wasn't hiding in their midst.  Then he was on his way.

My freezer is stocked and my soul is satisfied.  I am thankful that I can supply my own food and live where I can enjoy the creatures around me.  What are you thankful for?

11 comments:

  1. So much wild life! Your property and home are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy! The turkeys are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Its like when I get my winter wood all stacked! That feeling of accomplishment. I am so impressed you got all of your tags filled!! What great looking deer. Our deer around here look ill.
    What great turkeys. My son and his wife will be leaving California in 2018 to find a life like you are living now. I think you are so blessed Bonnie to fill your freezer with all of that good food. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing what you see out your window! It must feel good to have a fully stocked freezer. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You have all that wildlife right outside your window?! I have beautiful farm land and a golf course outside my window...for which I am thankful!...and lots of tourist traffic...for which I am not!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have been busy, my oldest is queen of the sausage making.I almost can tell by the small antlers how many were hunted maybe in the area.I shot pics of 16 bucks the other day, but traveled over 6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I got skunked this year. Not even a bear which is usually a given. We saw 5 bucks from our house yesterday. During hunting season, one little spike. Tell me they can't read a calendar. Looks like you have a fair bit of snow already. So far it's stayed just above us. I'm okay with that for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Bonnie! You've been busy hunting and processing. What a good feeling to have your pantry and freezer full. Do you take a wild turkey for Thanksgiving? I've never eaten wild turkey. I imagine it's pretty lean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie, you're definitely the busiest woman I know. I have a freezer full of beef, but not by my own doing. I haven't seen many turkeys since October, apparently they've gotten the memo about Thanksgiving? Deer abound and so do the hunters, but I haven't heard much in the line of gunfire here. I just have to remember my blaze orange when I go out to the garden. I'm thankful for this old farm sustaining me as it always has, having the land to roam is a great blessing. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no, don't say that you shot the deer and the turkeys on your pictures?! They look so cute! I have to confess I never could kill an animal. But I'm not a vegetarian. I guess you had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday with lots of good self produced food.
    But I know from myself: its a good feeling to eat your own harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's my question: did you sit on your porch to bag your deer limit? Or did you go farther afield?
    Did you have one of those wild turkeys for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.