Sunday, November 5, 2017

Something old is new again, but first a surprise...

I received a wonderful surprise from my brother.  He made me a Hobbit house for my garden.  It is perfect.  Can't you just picture it on a bed of moss?  Unfortunately, I now have to wait until June before I get to use it.


I haven't done a something old is new again post forever.  My husband traded some firewood for barn wood.  They even threw in a few old fence posts.

He was excited to start a new project.  A little cutting and sanding later a table slowly emerges.  The project was made even more special because some of the woods working tools were his father's.  Whenever we visited or they visited my husband and his father always worked on a woodworking project together.


I think my favorite part is when the old posts became table legs.  I love old posts with all of their individual characteristics.  Today's uniform posts have no history or personality.

Volia, a pile of 100 year old lumber becomes a table. My husband is full of ideas and I love that our cabin is filled with his projects.  What is a special piece of furniture in your home?

11 comments:

  1. You wold never guess that the table was made from upcycled wood. It’s great?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnificent table , I am amazed ! I made a coffee table quite a long time ago from flooring.Not sure where it ended up, think my oldest.I could see a inside arrangement around your new house,perhaps a holiday theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That table is beautiful!! I love that so much. Where did you get the chairs? Did your husband make them too? I love the things my husband makes too. That is so awesome. I love old barn word too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely piece of furniture. Your husband has talent and keeps a neat workshop too. You will have to give us a tour of your house one day. A treasured piece of furniture that is in my daughter's one is a deacon's bench with a lift seat for storage. Dan and I built it in our woodworking days and my mom painted a still life on the back rest. A treasure we have here is a washstand from my paternal grandparents home. No one made it that we know of but it is old as is a wicker chair on the balcony that came from my maternal grandmother.

    Did your husband write on the bottom of the table that he made it and the year? We did that to the deacon's bench and included the information about my Mom painting it. Nice for future generations to have that bit of information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband is so talented, I love the character of old wood too. The oldest and most interesting piece of furniture I have in my house is my mother-in-law's old Depression era china cabinet from England. I wish that we could have shipped the entire dining set home after she went into a nursing home after her stroke and had to sell her home, but for some reason we didn't. I also have a very old cedar-lined hope chest that belonged to a maiden aunt, it could use restoring. Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE it! He did an amazing job! Some of my favorite pieces are heirlooms that came from several generations back. They're not necessarily beautiful, but they have a story to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool table! We love us some ranchy barnwood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done Hubbyman! That looks great. I too love the character of old wood. There's something warm and welcoming about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a lucky wife that you have such a talented husband! Unfortunately I can't say the same.
    I would say a special piece of furniture in our home is a cabinet made of cherrywood from the year 1850 which we bought some years ago. When you open its door you always smell this antic wood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have a lot of wonderful, beautiful furniture in my home but none of it is special or handmade like this piece. it is extraordinary!!

    the habit house is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing piece of furniture all the more special because of your husband's craftsmanship. What a talent he has! I love old fence posts, too, but could never make such an object of beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.