Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Great Chickadee Christmas Caper...

 I went to the doctor on Thursday and found out I have bronchitis.  Generally, I don't say it is lucky I am sick, but in the case of the great Chickadee Christmas Caper it turns out it wasn't a bad thing that I was home in bed miserable.  I had just returned from the doctor with some medicine and strong cough syrup.  I was headed to bed excited at the thought that I may get some sleep.  As I started to doze off, I heard a, "Bam, bam, bam, chick-a-dee."  Confused, I tried to figure out why a chickadee would be banging on my bedroom window.  The noise wouldn't stop, so I crawled out of bed and went to the balcony door to look out and see what the fuss was about.  A chickadee was on the upper deck.  He must have been the lookout, because he exclaimed, "Chick-a-deee."  and flew off.  His accomplice behind him.
I grumbled as I went back to bed desperate for sleep.  Again less than five minutes later, "Bam, bam, bam.  Chick-a-dee."  This time I slid out of bed and walked up to the door using a bit more caution.  Once more I was busted by the lookout.  He proclaimed my presence and the two deviants flew away.  I knew they were up to no good, but I could not figure out what was going on.  Back to bed and in less than two minutes, "Bam, bam bam.  Chick-a-dee!"  This time I crawled on the floor, slid in the tub, and peaked out the window....

 This is what I found. The other chickadee was slowly and methodically dismantling my screen.  Why?  Because there were some dead flies on the window sill.  Needless, to say I was not pleased with the results of my investigation.  I opened the screen and brushed out the flies.  Upon reflection, I probably should not have rewarded their efforts.   I did find some peace and drifted off to sleep watching the little buggers fly back and forth reveling in the feast of dead bugs.  The two chickadees did not divulge their treat to the 30 other chickadees that eat at my very full feeders.
I told the tale to my husband.  I don't know if he believed my or thought the sickness had made me delirious.  Then next day we heard, "bam, bam, bam.  Chick-a-deee." There they were again, the little upstarts.  I think they were expecting more bugs.  We had to take the screen down.   
I'm waiting to see if the devious duo tries to break in through the window.  Obviously, they feel they deserve a better standard of feed than the birdseed I dole out.   That, my friends, is the Great Chickadee Christmas Caper of 2017...  I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. This is too hilarious. How did they get so smart? I hope you're on the mend very soon. No fun being sick at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistent little buggers. I was in a bird blind today watching a few. Merry Christmas and hope you get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite a story! I'm glad you shared it. Get well soon, Bonnie.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better. I love that story. They really did mess with that screen didn't they. I find that birds are always so incredible. The things I see. I am glad you see them too. I hope you are better now and that you had a nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.