Sunday, April 7, 2024

In the blink of an eye...

 We came back from Nebraska in time for snow.  Things had been melted off prior to that and it didn't take long for melting to begin.

I have been seeing a lot of elk on the way to and from work.  It is kind of unusual to see them in the spring.  The bulls have yet to lose their antlers.  

The sun came out and it actually warmed up.  Life was good.
Better yet, the crocuses were out adding a beautiful splash of color to our very brown world. 


You had better believe on Saturday I was out raking and checking to see how my plants had survived the winter.  I was soaking up the sun, loving every minute of it. 
My Aunt Bonnie used to always say if she could just make it to rhubarb it would be fine.  Well, I made it to rhubarb.  I see them poking out from under the pine needles.  
The turkeys are keeping us serenaded.  The crows help also.  The crows caw and that makes the turkeys gobble.  Around and around they go. 


Then came the snow, slowly creeping up the valley.  It always gives us plenty of warning.  We can see it coming and there is nothing you can do about it, except mentally prepare yourself.

It is wet and heavy.  Shoveling isn't much fun (like it ever is). It is still snowing.  We got about a foot with another foot supposedly on the way.  Hoping the weather reports are wrong.  Glad there aren't leaves on the trees.
Of course, if there is snow, indoor activities are in order.  I found this recipe for slightly sweet unleavened bread.  I've never made unleavened bread, so now was as good as a time as any.  It turned out to be delicious. I found the recipe at: https://findingtimeforcooking.com/

Slightly-Sweet Unleavened Bread
2 cups of white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) of melted butter
1/4 cup of water
2 tablespoons of honey
1/4 teaspoon of salt IF your butter is unsalted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or grease it.
Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients and stir together (just a bowl and a spoon, no electric mixer necessary).
Dump the dough right out onto your prepared sheet pan and pat it out with your hands to between 1/4- and 1/2-inch thick.
Bake for about 17 minutes, until golden and mostly-set.
Let cool, then slice into strips. It should keep fine in an airtight container for 4 to 5 days.

We also did a lot of bird watching.  I was surprised to see this flicker.  We usually get them in fall.  We have seen the flying squirrel a few times.  It is impossible to get a good picture of the little bugger.


There was plenty of quilting to do.  I am doing wandering flowers but have decided to add a bee once in a while.  I am getting better.  It does take practice.  
It is a typical spring with a blink of an eye the weather changes.  A few more days of snow and then we are supposed to be back in the 50's.  I sure hope so. My poor little seedlings have only had one day of sunshine.  I wish I had taken a picture.  Happier little plants you never did see.  
I am hoping you are having better weather in your neck of the woods.  Did you do any projects this weekend?  Are the wild turkeys parading for you?  Have you ever made unleavened bread?  How are your seedlings faring?  Any crocus adding color to your world?



6 comments:

  1. A lot of "no's" for me - no turkeys, no crocus (I miss 'em), no unleavened bread, and no seedlings for me either. We are having good FL weather right now so I'm finishing up some outdoor projects before we head out west for the summer (next month).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spent 4 days in Buffalo visiting over this last weekend. What fun to see those two granddaughters in their element. Youngest is talking up a storm most of which is intelligible now. We missed the heavy wet snow storm here and thankfully warm temps that followed it took care of most of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had close to a foot of the heavy, wet snow, which is mostly melted now. Yesterday was the warmest day so far this spring. Got some chores done; moved dormant perennials to a new bed and threw shovelfuls of the remaining snow from under the eaves over them, to snuggle them in with moisture. Saw one hen turkey scuttle into the bush. Crocus are just starting to push up leaves..and love that idea of 'making it to rhubarb.' Seedlings, soon, but not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great post, filled with so much wonderful goodness. i love snow, it is my favorite part of winter. your pictures are so beautiful, and oh those turkeys are just magnificent. i have never seen yellow crocus, they are so pretty!! your quilt is gorgeous, you will be leaving behind so much of yourself behind in all of your handcrafted items!! we are well past crocus and daffodils, my tulips are blooming. i have covid right now, so i haven't done anything for days, and i have never made unleavened bread. it is sunny, 75 degrees today after many days of rain. i am still testing positive, i may walk around my gardens!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely the area is that you live in . The elk and the turkey are so pretty! I have never tried unleavened bread, thank you for sharing the recipe. We have wild turkey that come now and then to get a drink and to eat the feed that the birds have left behind. I do not grow a vegetable garden but the wildflowers and the seed I planted in the fall have all sprouted and are growing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a contrast between the snow and the beautiful spring crocus. Love your quilting, looking very good.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.