Sunday, April 21, 2024

It isn't going to happen...

 Meet our new alarm system.  Somebody drives by, they gobble.  We open the door, they gobble. We close the door, they gobble. Somebody walks by, they gobble.  

This picture is deceiving.  It looks nice and warm, but I promise you it is not.  The wind has been wicked cold.

We are not greening up as fast as I would like.  As you can see our alarm system is hard at work.
Back in the early 2000's, I had Black Current Honeywine from the Prairie Berry in Hill City.  It is a small winery that uses wild fruit to make their wines.  I was hooked.  It was amazing.  In 2010, I bought a small winemaking kit with dreams of creating wild fruit wines.  I planted an orchard and pick the wild berries that are plentiful on our property.  I have made 186 batches of wine, but I have never had enough black currents to make a batch of the wine that started this journey.  Today was a banner day, because after months of racking, I finally bottled my first batch of black current wine.  I am happy to say it was everything I had hoped for.
Unfortunately, not everything is coming up roses.  I have never missed a deadline in my life.  From 4-H projects as a kid, work related deadlines, to my quilting goals.  I am afraid my latest quilt is going to be the dealbreaker.  Everything was going well, up until the quilting part. Quilting is my favorite part of the whole process.  Until this quilt.  Nothing has gone right.  I have read every quilting article and watched every video that exists.  The thread keeps shredding, a possible bur, but I can't find where that might be. It could be the thread as other threads don't have tension issues, but the thread I'm using fights every effort to align the tension.  Today I did a whole row thinking I had figured out the problems, my thread wasn't shredding, all was well.  Then I looked at the back.  Hours of work for nothing.  It had started fine, but somewhere it decided to go funky.  
She graduates on May 10th and there is no way it will be done in time.  I am devastated.  I will figure something out, but not in time.   


I hope things are going well in your neck of the woods.  Have you ever missed an important deadline?  


6 comments:

  1. How frustrating, with your thread! I've never quilted (on a machine with top stitching) but have had issues with tension and thinking things are fine until your turn over your work! I imagine there are very few people out there in the world who can say they have never missed a deadline, so I'm sure she will understand. I take my hat off to you and your wine making efforts! Again, not something I've ever tried, but never say never. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We once stayed at a gite in France where there were free-range turkeys. Whenever we arrived back from a day out, the turkeys would surround the car and had to be shooed aside so we could park the car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing view!..and OH that wine! It looks beautiful, can almost taste it.
    So sorry about the quilting. That must be so very frustrating. Sure hope you can get it figured. I don't know very much about machine quilting, but have found changing the needle on my sewing machine has sorted out breakage and shredding thread issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think i have ever missed an important deadline. i know i did well in school and working as a nurse we did not really have deadlines. it is sad about your quilting problems, i know it can be frustrating...can you photograph it the way it is now and add the picture to the card. i know it is not the same but i am sure she will appreciate the gift that is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry you are feeling so much stress over this.
    We have been cold and windy making winter clean up hard but it is done or almost at least. The daffodils are just starting to come up.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that makes me so sad that your machine is doing that. I wish I knew a quick fix.
    I would love to see that you made your deadline. I don't think I miss deadlines either. I just can't do it. I love your turkey's I loved that they keep watch.
    Your wine is beautiful. So interesting about that winery.
    I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.