Sunday, July 21, 2024

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy...

This was an extremely busy week for me.  I was in charge of Job Corps 60th Anniversary Open House/Graduation.  In the middle of that I was offered and accepted the Center Director position, which means I am going to be in charge of the whole kit-n-kaboodle.  The news showed up and did an interview.  I think I hate interviews even more that throwing parties.  This weekend didn't slow down as it is Festival in the Park in Spearfish.  We always meet up with my college friend and the husbands visit while we shop.  The perfect end was sitting on the porch with a glass of wine and visiting with another good friend.  

Above is the absolutely fabulous cheeseboard I got at the festival.   How creative is that?  Below is what I did Sunday to slow down and relax.  I picked gooseberries, strawberries, raspberries, Saskatoons, and black currents.  Picking berries is very therapeutic for me.

In July, the rose bed becomes a real showcase.  I apologize for all of the photos, but I am constantly trying to capture the riot of colors.
This is my William Baffin rose.  I was very concerned because it sustained quite a bit of winter kill this year, but as you can see it rebounded nicely.
The delphiniums below are the perfect accent.  There must be some forest fires as it has been very hazy with red sunrises and sunsets.  
My little hummingbird is really enjoying the delphiniums.  She spent most of the morning dining on the nectar from it's blooms.
The bumblebees also did their share of snacking.  Delphiniums are one of my very favorite flowers.

The lilies are also in full bloom.  I have enjoyed the Aztec lilies on the south side of my rose bed, so last fall I added some to the north side of the rose bed.




We saw this doe at the festival.  She was in the middle of the campground with people on both sides, but she didn't care.  Just looking for some cool refreshing water.
This Topaz Rose is always such a pain.  She has the nastiest thorns, but I always forgive her when she blooms and when it is warm the sensational scent is so soothing.
I have to give props to my hardy Hansa rose.  She has been in the rose bed since the first year.  She never gets any bigger, but she is always stalwart and makes it through the winter.
Yes, the hummingbird again.  I only get to see her for a few months, so I must enjoy while I can.

The Champlain Rose below is another survivor.  It has vivid red blooms and is vigorous when it displays.  

One of my favorite quotes is "Come to the rose garden.  My roses are dying to meet you."  I don't know who said it, but it reminds me of my rose garden every time I see it. 


Well, that is what is going on in the gardens and my little corner of the world.  If you are wondering what sunshine on my shoulders in the title has to do with this, it is the fact that we finally have some sunshine and life has been pretty sunny for me this week.  I hope the same can be said for you.






5 comments:

  1. Wow great pictures!! beautiful gardens. I love the cheese board very creative.
    And congratulations on your promotion. I have no idea when you have time to garden with how busy you are.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we have had sunshine too. Lovely photos of your garden and the doe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never apologize for showing us your beautiful gardens. I can just imagine how those glorious roses smell. Congrats on the job and accolades, I'm sure you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is absolutely beautiful! Love, love blue delphs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the promotion. Your flowers are lovely. Mine took a hit with me being gone for over two weeks and not watered well while I was gone. Just had tow inches of rain today and that should help bounce them back.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.