Sunday, August 18, 2024

Midnight Tryst...

 With my new job title comes some of the same job duties as my previous job.  As I did in December, I got the opportunity to take one of my students to a leadership conference in Washington DC.  He had never really been out of South Dakota and not had the joy of flying.  It was wonderful to be able to see the wonder and excitement he got from this experience.

It was in DC that I met my new love... The Midnight Tryst Hibiscus.  What a beauty.  Although the museums are pretty much closed when the conference ended, the gardens are always open.  While my student was on a bus tour with other students.  I was drawn back to the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden that I had enjoyed when I went in December.  The garden didn't disappoint.  There is nothing more energizing to me than to sit quietly in the middle of our nation's capital and enjoy the plethora of beauty the Smithsonian's gardeners create.

Not only was there the Midnight Tryst, but also the Hidden Valley Hibiscus (below) tucked away in the middle of a scented garden.  Jasmine, magnolias, moonflowers, trumpet vines, and flowers I didn't even know existed created a perfect haven.  I will never be able to grow any of those, but I do know I can grow a hibiscus.  I drag them in when temperatures drop and try to be kind when I put them out again in the spring.  I don't know where I will tuck this beauty in amongst my 30+ houseplants, but I am determined to find one.


Do you see the delicate moonflowers?  They were everywhere.  I may have to give them a try next year.  This birdhouse is still my favorite.  


All journeys must end and ours did with a very turbulent airplane ride from Denver to Rapid City.  The joy of flying was pretty tongue-in-cheek, because my student was less than impressed.  Luckily it was on the last flight.  I don't know if I could talked him into boarding another plane if we had had such a flight at the beginning of our adventure.  


As if it knew it had competition, my hibiscus had several vibrant blooms when I came home.  Maybe it is afraid I won't still have room for it.  My vegetable garden is doing great.  I have high hopes of winning the giant pumpkin competition this year.  Here is the leading candidate.  A little scarred up, but still going strong. Also please notice, my corn is tasseling hardly a foot from the ground.  Anxious to see how that turns out.
My husband did a great job of keeping my gardens watered and the deer away.  Of course, he knows that anything that dies in his care will be replaced.  He did such a good job this eggplant came out of nowhere.  It wasn't forming when I left and then 5 days later here it is in all of its glory.  A friend gave me the most amazing eggplant parmesan recipe and I'm dying to use it with one from my garden.  

The fruit and berry portion of my garden is extremely lacking this year, but we do have a beautiful crop of apples.  This is my first harvest from my 6-year-old Zestar tree.  Yes, 6 years I've waited for an apple from it.  It was worth the wait.  They are very sweet and juicy.  We peeled them and froze 4 bags for pies, 3 bags for crisp, and made one crisp.  I used the peels and a few leftover apples to make caramel apple jam.

Speaking of food I have to share this awesome Pinterest recipe.


Take lettuce, tomatoes, banana peppers, green peppers, lettuce, red onion, mozzarella cheese, peperoni, cooked sausage, ring sausage, and black olives.  Chop it up like nobody's business.  Then add a glob of mayonnaise, Dejon mustard, and Italian dressing.  Sprinkel with salt and pepper. Chop up and mix together and then put on a toasted or untoasted sub.  It is delicious and a extremely flavorful. 



It may not look pretty, but I promise it is tasty.  Just don't forget to add the Dejon mustard.  It gives it that extra zing.  

I am forever thankful for my life.  To be able to help a young man see what is beyond his boundaries was wonderful.  To find peace in the middle of a huge city, to have a husband who supports my travels and keeps my garden going while I'm gone, and then to come home and realize what a beautiful haven we have created brings me great joy. 

What are you thankful for?  Is there a destination that you look forward to visiting?  What is something about today that brought you joy?






3 comments:

  1. Our apple harvest is very poor this year. The hibiscus is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like a life of small satisfactions to make you feel blessed! Pass it on... pay it forward, take your pick, the world's a better place for it. Oh, and I love the looks of that sandwich spread and will definitely try it, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the photos of the Smithsonian gardens. It's been too many years since I was there enjoying them. When I worked at HUD in DC (1973-85) I would often walk there at lunch time. One spring after the tulips had bloomed they had a giveaway of the bulbs. Of course I got some and planted them. I think they bloomed for me once but that was 5 homes ago.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.