Sunday, September 23, 2012

Take a gander at the greenhouse...

 It has been quite a while since I  posted a greenhouse update.  I have to show my new addition to the back.  These outside beds will be used for the peas, beans, cucumbers, and my herbs. 
 Despite the heat, I moved the chives, asparagus, and mint soon after getting the beds filled with compost.  The asparagus is happy about the move. 
These photos were taken this weekend, just before I pulled the pumpkins.  I put the pumpkins on the porch to make it pretty.  Then I ripped out all of the vines and replanted spinach and lettuce.  Ella was sure those pumpkins were for her to play catch with.  As you can see, the pumpkin on the roof hung in there.    


I will not be planting indeterminate tomatoes in the greenhouse next year.  They grew until they hit the roof and then flopped over.  This was a photo I took in July.  I had to crawl in to water and pick tomatoes.  I am already making plans for next years planting scheme.   I am defiantly having tomatoes, as I have become addicted to putting them on pizza, in salads, and roasting them.   
 
This is a photo of the greenhouse at the beginning of August.  As you can see the pumpkins made their annual attack on the strawberry bed.  My chamomile for tea did excellent.  I've harvested it three times and think I will get a fourth next weekend.  The only thing I was disappointed in was my peppers.  I had them in pots on the bench.  I think next year I will put them in the ground.  I also need to improve my succession planting of lettuce and spinach. 
 
 
 
I didn't grow the biggest pumpkins this year, but that is probably a good thing.  They look pretty cute on the turtle.

9 comments:

  1. Chamomile tea is soooo good. I've never had fresh. I may plant some next year. It's one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turtle looks a bit startled... "AH.. There is something on my back!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the outside beds...I've always thought raised beds look so neat and tidy. I think your peppers will like it in the ground next year. While I'm not familiar with your climate, my peppers get huge when I put them out in my garden here. Cute pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing your greenhouse makes me yearn for my old one. When we moved to this house we left the old greenhouse behind - with promises of a bigger and better one ~ which I'm STILL waiting on. You certainly have a green thumb:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turtle looks pretty happy with this beautiful pumpkin...bigger isn't always better. I'm so jealous of your greenhouse project--it turned out perfect! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That nifty little greenhouse sure gives you lots of produce in a short growing season. I love the pumpkins climbing out through the roof! They're cute when they are little, I think. My pumpkins are just turning orange now so I'll leave them on the vine yet.

    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen pumpkins grow up a green house, I bet they loved the heat.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ALWAYS smile as I look at your photos and read your words.

    Thanks dear and WOW, you DO have an exuberant pumpkin.

    Love,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post and you keep bees too! How fun! Would love for you to come and share on our blog hop too. We are just getting started :)

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.