Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thanks Dad...

As I mentioned earlier this week, I went home for the weekend.   My Dad did a great job of fulfilling my every wish.  I don't go home often enough, but I do call.  Dad fills me in on the wildlife.  I always tell him I wish I had pictures of all the things he talks about.  Well, he managed to get me access to every photo I wanted.

First, on my list was the pheasant that hatched with the turkeys.  She thinks she is a turkey.   She has been a part of the flock since she was a chick.  It will be interesting how long she will stay with them. 


 
Next on my list was the Nighthawks that roost behind the house.  Dad looked and looked until he found them tucked in the trees.  If you didn't know they were there you would never notice them.  I love nighthawks and was extremely excited to get a picture.
 

 

We also took a jeep trip across the cattle pasture so I could take photos of the Bald Eagle nest in the cottonwood tree.  Too bad we forgot to tell the eagles.  They were supposed to be in the photo shoot.  One took off as soon as we got close, thus I only have photos of the nest.  That was pretty impressive on its own.

 
My guide also had me sneak up to the dam in back and get some photos of the resident duck family.  Mom and Dad watched them grow up this summer.  Now you can't tell the hen from her brood.

 
 
I am already accumulating a new list.  There are little tiny burrow owls in the prairie dog town.  I was very upset I didn't have the camera.  I have never noticed them before. 
 
All in all, my guide did a great job of getting me on my subjects.  Everything I said I wanted I got.  Thanks Dad.  I look forward to our future photo shoots.
 

 Your Sunday Best
 

15 comments:

  1. Oh photo shoots with your Dad sounds perfect. Your parents live in a wonderful spot just like you. Love the pheasant with the turkeys very cool. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say you had a wonderful guide. Neat that you could spend time together, doing something special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely takes, I enjoyed them all. You really needin to sneek up to the eagles in the dark and sit in a blind .Your dad sounds pretty special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it was a really fun nature walk/ride. You got some nice shots of the nighthawks. I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like such a fun trip, I love the shots of everything...

    Especially the night hawks, they make my heart sing.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm such a bird lover and your post just puts a big smile on my face! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello I wanted to answer your questions left on my blog post. I hitched a ride to a little city with My Hero early in the morning it is not far from his work about 1/2 hour ride. I then hopped a 2 and 1/2 hour train ride to Toronto then a hour bus ride to Hamilton. The subway cars were when I went to visit youngest daughter in Toronto. Lots of fun I like doing it I can read or sleep on the train. I hope that answers your question. B

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's obvious you and your dad share a love of nature. I really enjoyed seeing your photos, particularly the pheasant with the turkeys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The days spent with our Dad's are so very special. I miss mine so much, being 5 yrs in Oct since he passed to his happy hunting ground.
    It's so obvious that you have a great connection. I loved all of the photos and feel as if I was along for the ride. Very cool Night Hawks roosting and the pheasant among the turkeys. How cool is that.
    BlessYourHearts.....oh, the deer is awesome...hope you see him again as he grows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a wonderful visit and the pictures are just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Something special about time with Dad. glad you got all you wanted from your photo shoot..love that quail in with the turkeys!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so behind on reading your blog! I've been enjoying all your latest posts tonight! Love the pictures from the special father/daughter time! Have you been getting my emails? Hugs, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  13. fabulous post, you are a very lucky woman ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful visit and the pheasant who thinks he's a turkey is adorable -- I imagine he'll stay with them.

    Thank you for sharing with us at Your Sunday Best this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots, I love getting those kind of photos!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.