Sunday, July 2, 2023

Life is good...

 I have a certainty enjoyed this week.  I took some time off to do projects and enjoy time with my husband and family.

I took some salvage from our old deck and created terraces in the raspberry bed.
There was a lot of weeding, pruning, and staking that needed to be done in the garden.

A good friend stopped by for a visit over coffee and Danish.  Time spent with friends is always time well spent.

We had a happy impromptu mini reunion as my aunt, cousin, and my cousin's son showed up about the same time as my brother.  We had a wonderful visit.My brother shares our love of Jeeping.  We took him down valleys and up a mountains.  We saw bighorn sheep, deer, and views that went on forever.

Nobody visits without donning an apron.  My brother made our mom's recipe for rhubarb crisp. Neither of us had tried to make it before.  It turned out perfectly.


Dakota Rhubarb Crunch

c. dry Rhubarb
1 c. Sugar
2 T. Cornstarch
1 c. Water
1 t. Vanilla

Topping
2 c. Flour
1 1/2 c. Oatmeal
2 c. Brown Sugar
1 c. Melted Butter
2 T. Cinnamon

Put dried rhubarb in 9x13 glass cake pan. In a small sauce pan combine sugar, corn starch, water, and vanilla. Cook until thick and clear stirring constantly. Pour over rhubarb and cover with topping. Bake at 350º for 1 hour.
A friend of ours and my brother stopped by.  It was good to catch up.  I'm glad he had a chance to stop by 
It has been great seeing friends and family. The icing on the cake has been taking evening walks with my husband.  We haven't seen any more mountain lions, but we did see these Alice in Wonderland mushrooms. 
Life was meant to be enjoyed and that is what I have done this week.  Friends, family, food and adventures.
What was your last adventure?  Have you tried a new recipe lately? Here is wishing you a happy 4th of July.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely time and a good recipe
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is a busy time gardenwise. Lovely to have unexpected guests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely! I've done one rhubarb crisp this season, but added strawberries to it as well. That mushroom is a story book mushroom indeed! I didn't know they existed in the real world. Things are bursting forth in your greenhouse! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie! Oh, I'm so glad you had a lovely week free to enjoy so many things! That's pretty much how I make rhubarb crisp! I don't really measure LOL! I am going to be staying with granddaughters this week and next week so I am holding loosely to plans. We'll just see what we want to do. I did buy nice fat hot dogs for the fourth. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been trying lots of new recipe from the Cookbook Half Baked Harvest. I never knew that mushroom's name but have seen it in the woods before. We have had oodles of rain so outside activities have been between rainstorms. Breakfast Saturday was outside with family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those long views are just the best!, although having a garden and the woods to enjoy is mighty fine too. I haven't had any rhubarb in years, hope y'all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect week. Time spent with friends and family is always time well spent. I'm glad you had so many stop by and visit.
    You live in an amazing place. Those views definitely go on forever.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.