Monday, June 3, 2013

I am not a real runner...


I am not a real runner, but yesterday I played one.  My niece, Tricia, and I ran the Deadwood Mickelson Trail 1/2 Marathon.  Thirteen long miles.  Luckily, it was downhill most of the way and the run included incredible scenery.  

Tricia is a real runner.  She is very dedicated and has done 2 other 1/2 marathons along with some other crazy races I've never heard of.  I admire her gusto.  If it hadn't been for her I would have never even considered running a mile, much less a half marathon.  She also did a great job telling me what to expect and making sure I got where we needed to go at 5:30 am (I had no coffee mind you).  Because of her I really enjoyed my first and last 1/2 marathon.

We not only ran the half marathon, but also hosted the whole family for several days.  It increased my respect for parents.  Especially after the marathon, when I went for a walk with little Grady.  Grady isn't very old, but he left me in the dust.   We had a lot of fun with the kids, even when rain forced us all inside for a day.  Mya plays a mean game of 'The Woods are Full of Them." I'm glad the weather warmed up and they were able to enjoy the Black Hills.  Vance even got to pan for gold.  Kelly and Kyle got to talk hunting.  Everybody threw pine cones for Ella.

Oh, how did we do in the race?  Well, Tricia did great and finished with a time of 2 hours and 3 minutes.  Averaging about 9 minutes per mile.   I met my goal and of keeping in the 10 minute mile range (ok 10.52) and finished the race in 2 hours and 22 minutes.  I wasn't first, but I wasn't last either.  I conquered one of my age 40 goals and did so with a great running partner.  Thanks Tricia.





 

14 comments:

  1. I'd say you qualify as a real runner to me! Congratulations on finishing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you! Congrats on finishing. My son runs 1/2 marathons, but it's not for me. My ankles and knees can't take the pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh congratulations that is very cool you are very brave. You certainly sound like a runner to me. My daughter ran a 5k race this weekend I hope she never asks me to join her:) Family time is the best. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 minute miles qualify as a real runner, I'd say! I'm training for my first 10 K, and will be happy with a 13 minute mile pace. I'm not a real runner; I'm just hoping for a faster-than-walking time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, hey! Way to go, girl! I have great respect for runners cuz I'm not one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 13 some odd miles qualifies as a runner. :) Nicely done. I'm getting ready to run my first 5K this summer. I'll be happy to finish that one. Kudos to you and I'll hopefully join the ranks of at least half-marathoners one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you can finish a half, you are, indeed, a real runner. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your race. 10 minutes miles are pretty good in my book. I've given up running unless something is chasing me :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge congrats! I have been on that Deadwood trail many years ago, and it is gorgeous. Sounds like you had a really great run.

    My nephew is named Grady! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonnie,
    Congrats on your Half Marathon! The Black Hills are gorgeous and there is so much to do and see.

    Have you ever participated in the Crazy Horse Volks March or climbed Harney Peak?

    Robyn
    http://theranchwifechronicles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a wonderful accomplishment! I did a half marathon when we lived in California and it is rewarding. Bum knees and "Morton's neuromas somewhat have sidelined me, but you inspire me to get those running shoes out again because it really does make you feel soooooo good, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Bonnie! You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You Rock! I'm so proud of you Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats ...on the accomplishment !

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.