Sunday, October 8, 2023

Unbelievable...

 It was a super busy week and it isn't over.

The leaves are falling like crazy.  It reminds of the Frost poem, "her early leaf is a flower, but only so for an hour."
It is difficult for Ella to get around anymore.   She will be 16 in a week.  That doesn't stop her from perking up the second she thinks you are going to the greenhouse or on a walk.
My husband outdid himself with the pumpkins this year.  They were fabulous. 
The biggest one was 30 lbs. All of hard work paid off.  I was no competition.   A deer got into my pumpkins and I didn't recover. 
I have to showyou my "Tigger" melon.  It was delicious.   It was the size of a large egg.  Perfect snack size.  Too bad I  only got one.  My husband raises huge pumpkins and I grow tiny melons.  Can I  get a smallest melon trophy?
I am super grateful for my friend,  Jody.  We both share a love for quilting and this weekend we went to a quilt show in Gillette, WY.
I cannot describe how enjoyable it was to wander around in a state of wonder.  Some of the quilting was just amazing and so intricate. 
It was fun to see the color combinations that people devise.  Colors you would never think could go together were combine in breathtaking patterns.  Not only was it a wonderful day of strolling through these amazing works of art, but sharing the experience with a good friend.  I think we talked about everything under the sun.  
I couldn't have ask for a better way to spend a day.
We saw some quilt panels that were inspirational.
Creative patterns called my name, but I  was on a mission.   I have another graduation quilt and needed to focus on what I hope my niece will enjoy. 
It was difficult to stay focused.   
With Jody's expertise (she is by far a better quilter), I started buying fabric for my next graduation quilt. 
I love being outside gardening,  hunting, hiking, and just appreciating the beautiful weather.  That isn't to say another part of me looks forward to settling in for the winter and quilting in my little nook.
I am thankful for my life.  I have a loving husband, creative friends, and a faithful old dog.  So often I have read that the key to happiness is to appreciate what you have.  In hopes of sharing  my joy, what are you thankful for?

8 comments:

  1. Did you share the melon? Happy birtday to Ella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful for so very much. One thing does stand out for Dan and me and that's living here in New Hampshire so close to oldest daughter and her family. Last night we stopped in there after being out to a play. We wanted to see how the cider making went. They were just sitting down to supper and invited us to stay and share their meal. Talk about thankful? We are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are indeed tremendous pumpkins! Ella is doing very well for a senior dog! I don't quilt, but I know how people used to do it (there is a very big Mennonite, Amish population around here), but now are most of those intricate stitching patterns done by machine? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to have a home set in a most beautiful place - the shores of Lake Michigan, wonderful friends, health as I age, positive outlook on life, an a trusting heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote yes on the Little Melon Trophy!! Can't wait to see how the graduation quilt turns out. 🧵

    ReplyDelete
  6. What am I thankful for? Well, you pretty much summed it up for me too! I love that log cabin quilt. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your husband those are nice pumpkins.
    What a nice way to spend an afternoon among the amazing quilts with a great friend.
    You have much to be thankful for. It's nice to remind ourselves of our blessings daily.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done to hubby on his haul of pumpkins. They look amazing.
    Those quilts are absolutely beautiful. So much time and care in each one. I did try hand quilting many, many years ago but it was a disaster so took up knitting instead!! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt you make for your niece.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.