Monday, November 4, 2013

A day older...

 I'm a bit slow on posting.  I've been keeping busy.  Somewhere in the last few weeks I celebrated my birthday. Kelly and I  also enjoyed our 19th year of marriage.  I have really pondered about how much I am enjoying my 40's.  I am both confident and comfortable in my life.  I have learned a few things along the way. 

Lesson 1:  Stay Fit - I learned something at 40 that I took for granted in my 30's.  Staying in shape. I became a principal in my 30's.  I was so focused on the challenges, that I let my exercise routine slip away.  I entered 40 with a determination to get back in shape. My niece encouraged me to try something different.  We both agreed to run the Mickelson Trail Half Marathon.  I hadn't run since high school.  I did the 13 miles (gulp) and in a decent time.   I was going to burn my shoes after that, but my friend in Denmark signed us up for the world's largest 5k (a mere 3 miles).  Since then I have kept up with my running and weight lifting.  I will continue running and am appreciative that I have good friends that push me when I need it. 


Lesson 2: It is never too late to Learn -  Pinterest has given me the resources to try different things that I was always interested in, but never had information on.  Again, I had kind of become stuck in a rut.  Just doing things I had always done.  Now I am expanding my quilting, garden projects, recipes, canning, and even some beauty stuff.  Now, I look ideas up all week and Sunday is project day.  I look forward to Sunday and what new ideas I can try next.

Lesson 3:  Rise to the Gardening Challenge -  My husband has been the person who pushed me to this realization.  When I only grew perennial flowers, he built me a rose garden.  Only professionals grow roses, but by golly I have had some survive (not all mind you, but my survival rate is improving).  Next, he built me a greenhouse.  Vegetables?  Only my Mom and sister can grow vegetables, I missed that gene.  What do you know I even had sweet corn and potatoes this year.  I've added two outdoor beds and have thoughts for a third.  My orchard is starting to produce, which took patience.  My last achievement is this year I grew annual flowers, which always eluded me.  I was so excited about my peaches and cream hollyhocks and dahlias.
 
Lesson 3:  Take care of your Body - I never cared much about make up, creams, and such.  They are expensive and I am notoriously cheap.  Then I learned how to make my own and I liked knowing what was in the ingredients.  I realized they did make a difference  Not everything I made worked, but some did and I can tell the difference.  I now use homemade hair conditioners, sugar scrubs, and face toner.  


Lesson 4: There is True Love -  What can I say?  My husband followed me halfway around the world.  His support and love amazes me more and more every day.  I am so lucky.  My love for him grows with every passing year. 


 That's what I have learned so far.  I'm sure there are plenty of life's lessons still waiting for me.  I look forward to what I have yet to learn.

 

8 comments:

  1. Bonnie,
    Happy belated birthday and anniversary! I like your list of lessons, very practice. I am a huge believer in "life long learning" and the big garden idea is lingering in my mind.

    Have fun working on all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a smart woman bonnie, very smart!! i loved my 40's, half way through my 50's, i am having a blast!!

    true love is real, i have found it as well!! 35 magical years, i could not be happier!!

    happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list of lessons learned is wonderful and thought-provoking. I've learned that the older I get the more I need to to find time for exercise and "body maintenance."

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...I'm reading this post really late...but I'm glad I had a chance to come back to it! I need some of your motivation...a friend to get me running or something. Yes, I could do it alone, but how much more fun to do it with a friend! And from what I see on your blog, you've more than done great with your gardening! :) Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday to you! Thanks for sharing your life lessons. You are such an inspiration! I'm working on a running program where I'm just adding a few minutes in each day with my daily walk. Congrats on the 13 miles. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still learning and am a lot older than you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late - But happy birthday.... I loved my forties...and never tire of learning. I think I learned that being a dork - pays off in the end...you are a ton healthier and would miss out on way too much just to be the"cool" kid on the block. Hope you enjoy your thanksgiving holiday. The snow is just a falling down. Ripley - is frosty silver rather than the usual jet black as he plays out in it.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely wise insightful post. I love your photos and yes I agree. Fitness in the forties is so important. I wish you would link this up to the From the Farm blog hop. It is so worth sharing.
    http://www.sunnysimplelife.com/

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.