Sunday, January 28, 2018

Projects, projects...

I'm finally feeling better and happily working on projects.  I was excited to make homemade lotion bars.  I have plenty of beeswax from our hives, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, and lemon essential oil.  I put it all in a double boiler and viola... lotion bars.  I love the photo below.  The bars were beginning to harden,  thus the middle is clear and the outer edges are starting to solidify.    

 I really like my new molds.  The bees look great.  The speckles are from the beeswax.  My brother made the little rectangle container and it works perfectly for holding them.

I am doubtful about my next project.  This garden stake is quite old and fell apart a few years ago.  The red glass faded beyond recognition.  I read on Pinterest that if paint on glass fades try using nail polish.  Well, I tried nail polish, but am very doubtful that it will work.  I don't think the polish adhered to the glass like I hoped it would.  I guess we will find out this summer.
Sixteen years ago I made the curtains in our guest bedroom.  They are faded and weren't overly heavy fabric to begin with.  My husband and I found a new material and I will make curtains next weekend.  We like the material so much I may also make a quilt for that bedroom with it.  Right now it is just hanging over the window for inspiration.
Last but not least, my husband smoked and grilled a chicken this weekend.  The chicken was perfectly delicious.   It was a great time to try the garlic cheddar biscuit recipe I had seen on Pinterest.  They were amazing.

Garlic Cheddar Biscuts
2 c. buttermilk biscuit mix (Jiffy)
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 t. garlic powder
2/3 c. milk
2 T. butter
2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. garlic salt

Bake for 10-13 minutes at 400 degrees.

That is it in a nutshell.  It feels good to  be busy again.  I am super happy about the lotion bars, as I don't have very good luck with store bought lotions.  Most of them cause me to break out.  The curtain project is going to be on the list for next weekend.  I'm seriously considering going back and getting more material for a quilt.  We shall see.  What are you working on?  What new recipe have you tried?  What was your last sewing project?  Have you ever experimented with lotion bars?

5 comments:

  1. Love your beeswax lotion bars, I hope they work for you. That's a great mold. The last time I sewed it was to make a shirt for my son, kind of a silly project. I've been cooking a lot of crockpot recipes lately, a Moroccan lamb stew and a Thai green curry chicken. My husband loved them both, but the curry is too spicy for me. I've been sowing lots of seed slaltey, and right now I have lots of seedlings. I have still more to do, but I need to figure out what to do with the seedlings I have. I need to pot them on. Glad to see you've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your little bees 🐝 I've made lotion bars and lotion and like both so much better than anything from the stores. You are sure making up for lost time - you've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never attempted anything like lotion bars before. I bet yours smell wonderful. No heavily scented products for me, so those might be just right. Will you line your new curtains or is that fabric heavy enough? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not adapt at any of that, my daughter makes lots of soaps and sews lots. I am getting things ready for garden, but wishing i had a place in AZ to go to for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy! We have had to change our diet recently so it’s a time for lots of new recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.