Sunday, May 19, 2024

Out and about...


It has been a busy two weeks.  My niece held a graduation party last Friday.  They had a band and good food.  It was a great time. It is always a good thing when family can get together in celebration.  She enjoyed her quilt, but as the norm, I didn't get a picture of her opening it. 




























After that we drove on to Minnesota to see my husband's family.  We had a good visit.  My mother-in-law told me that Darlene had turned 80, so we had to go see if the barn was painted in celebration. 

I can't wait to check in 10 years and see how they make it into a 90. 
I did some goat wrangling with my niece, Maya.  I found that it is much easier than trying to deal with cows when calving.  My years of goat tying as a kid came in handy.  I really dislike goats but have to admit those little buggers were pretty cute.
My husband and I went for a little walk.  I was joking that I would find some morel mushrooms.  Turns out I wasn't joking.  I found four monsters.  If you have never had a morel mushroom, I promise they are amazing.


We got home just as the daffodils and tulips were blooming.
My bees are looking good.  Luckily, they have plenty of apple trees, a flourishing crabapple, and several currents to keep them fed.
The wildflowers are blooming like crazy just down the road.  I love walking that way as every weekend the blooms are different.

My sister got me a soil test kit for Christmas.  I tried it on my outdoor vegetable beds.  It seems I am deficient in Nitrogen.  It also shows the beds could use some more potash.  We will see if it makes a difference.
Every year this rose-breasted grossbeak wanders through for a few days.
The sapsuckers are doing their yearly mating dances and rat-a-tat-tats.  
The grossbeaks are settling in and the Western tanagers are also found their way to my feeders this weekend.  I had a mountain blue bird fly through yesterday, but I'm sure he was on his way to somewhere with bigger meadows.

Wow.  A lot happens in a couple of weeks.  What spring birds do you have flying through?




5 comments:

  1. You do have some beautiful birds and the wildflowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've seen a Baltimore oriole a couple of times. And the hummingbirds are back and thirsty.
    What a nice couple of weeks of family gatherings you had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy having fun!! Great bird pictures.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have had fun. It sure is a busy time. Love the barn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice weather, baby kids, flowers and fun walks, you live a busy life! I would love to see a Scarlet Tanager in person - so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.