Sunday, July 14, 2024

Herb Wreaths....

I am overjoyed.  We finally took the picnic table off of the porch and put my potting bench back.  My husband made the bench for me 20 years ago when we built the cabin.  Seating was an issue when we had visitors.  So as time went on, we built a picnic table to accommodate guests.  My poor potting bench was either in the barn or out by the barn.  It didn't get used as much since it was not in a convenient location. 

Now that we have a deck with a wonderful table and chair set, it was time to bring the potting bench back.  I was inspired.  I took the old stove doors we had found at the back of the property and made them into hanging art.  
I then added an old rake to the bench, so I could hang my potting tools and drying herbs.  Everything is now easy to access.  No more walking to the other end of the yard and then forgetting what you were even going to the bench for.  My fertilizers, seeds, tools, and soil are all handy.  It is also great when we get a warm spell in early spring or late fall and I want to do some quick gardening projects.  Not as inviting when it was in the cold dark barn.
Isn't she a beauty?  I've added a few things here and there.  A door using old shutter hinges.  The rake for hanging tools.  She is the perfect size.  
My herb wreath project became more of a soup swag.  I cut long slips of parsley, rosemary, oregano, basil, chives, and sage.  

My husband makes a wonderful bird brine.  It needs rosemary, lemon thyme, and sage.  I added them all together for a nice swag. I tied it together using lemongrass. He uses fresh ingredients when he can, but I never seem to get my rosemary to live past February.  


I made soup and stew swags.  Adding parsley, sage, basil, chives, and oregano.  I tied the swag with the chives.  I've used these before and you just toss them in the last 10-20 minutes while the soup is simmering.
I harvested quite a bit of German chamomile.  I am not big on tea, but it is great as a hair detangler.  Just make a chamomile tea.  Add 1 c. tea, 2 tablespoons of lemon, 1 cup of water, and add a sprig of rosemary.  Spray in your hair after you shower, and it combs out easily.   I also use spray chamomile tea on seedlings, and they won't get that mold or if they do have the mold, it goes away.  Plus, they are such a happy looking flower.  Just make sure you don't let them go to seed or they will take over.  

The last thing I need to make is a Mullein swag.  I use mullein, licorice basil, and anise hyssop. 

Web MD describes mullein as an expectorant, which means it helps the body expel excess mucus, usually by helping make your coughs more productive, to bring up mucus that may be settling in the chest or in the throat. It is also a demulcent. Studies show that demulcents create a soothing anti-inflammatory coating over mucous membrane.

Author, Kathie Lapcevic, in 5 Uses for Anise Hyssop says hyssop helps expel mucus making it ideal for treating colds.

I used to think that was hooey, until I tried it.  Seep the tea for 10 minutes and any phlegm will disappear.  I was shocked at how well it worked.  I guess I can't call it a soup swag.  How about a sick swag?

Well, that is it for herb wreaths and soup swags.  You will probably see more puttering projects now that my potting bench is perfectly placed.  Ha.

Where do you do your puttering or potting?  Do you have a garden shed, special toolbox, or a potting bench?  I'd love to see your gardening home base.  



6 comments:

  1. Your potting bench is pretty with all the little touches you have added. It looks so inviting to use, and will be handy now. Do you now hang your swags and wreaths to dry?, or freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bench for me just an old table but it suits me well, yours is very swish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your herb lore, loved seeing the various kinds of wreaths and swags you make. Great job on your gardening bench station! It looks efficient and rustic. I have lemon thyme and basil growing in a pot, but somehow rarely use any of the herbs. 😞🙄

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a gardening box my husband made for me and an old mail box he put on a post that is full of my gardening tools also.
    That is a lovely bench and what a wonderful idea with the herbs.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are genius! Why have I never thought of drying the herbs together in bundles - humph! I just might be a copy cat now 😁 The bench looks great - mine is still buried in an unlit corner. Also appreciate the hair tonic recipe. You are just full of good info today. Tell Hubby he should let you rearrange outside more often

    ReplyDelete
  6. The potting bench is great. Our potting bench is in the greenhouse but it'd nothing like as lovely as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.