Sunday, April 3, 2011

Yummy rhubarb cake on a crummy day...

My Christmas present in the snow.
     For as nice as it was yesterday it is crummy today.  It is snowing, the wind is blowing, and I have yet to see any sunshine.  At least I got one nice day. 
     To make the best of it, I rummaged around in the freezer and found (to my surprise) frozen rhubarb.  Thought I had used that up.  With visions of spring in my head, I made my mother-in-law's rhubarb cake.  It is wonderful and picked up our spirits some.  I've been gleaning recipes off of other blogs, so I figured I'd share one.   

Cindy's Rhubarb Cake

1 1/2 c. brown or white sugar        
1/2 c.    butter
2 c.       flour
1 t.       baking soda
1 t.       salt
1         egg
1 c.     sour milk
2 c.     rhubarb fresh or frozen

Combine all ingredients.  Pour in a greased baking dish.  Top with:
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 t. cinnamon

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.  Enjoy. 
Probably isn't the best photo, but I already ate that piece.
I figured if I cut another piece for photo purposes I'd have to eat that one also.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds and looks good! I remember my mom growing rhubarb, but haven't tried growing it myself.
    This time of year any dry day is better than nothing and I go outside as much as I can. Hopefully it won't be too long until we're all getting lots of sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb is absolutely one of my favorite fruits. I had the most beautiful rhubarb in the garden when we lived in Connecticut, but alas, I have to buy it at the Farmer's Market here in the Pacific Northwest because we don't get enough sun. Thank you for the recipe--I can't wait to try it. And, thank you for visiting my blog; I think we have a lot in common. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh me too! Mine also has orange and ground almonds added, it is moist and so yummy!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks delicious! I'd would have had a hard time resisting eating it in order to take the glamour shot for the blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love rhubarb. And I like your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhubarb cake, yummy, as good as it gets. I am forever banging on about gardening in the cooler climate, brr its still very cold in south Dakota. It was 69f here in Aberdeen yesterday, bit of a fluke but nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never cooked with or eaten rhubarb before. This looks very yummy. I just ordered some rhubarb seeds though. How is it cut for this recipe? I was assuming sliced, but how thin/thick?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rhubarb is just chopped in 1/4 inch chunks. It may take a few years to eat a rhubarb grown from seed. The best way to get rhubarb is from a friend who is dividing a patch. Let me know how the seeds do. My interest is peaked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm - i love rhubarb cake! we might even have enough homegrown rhubarb this year to make some.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.