I've been busy as a bee. Projects all over the place. The weather is so nice I can't sit still.
Project 1: Making stepping stones and a bird bath using leftover cement. Giant rhubarb leaves served as the mold. We covered them in cement. The stepping stones were laid flat on an old piece of drywall. For the giant birdbath, we took the biggest rhubarb leaf and spread it over some grass clippings to make a concave form. Since it was so large, I added fencing as rebar. The stepping stones turned out great. I will let them dry a bit longer and then stain them.
I'm letting this bad boy sit for a while. It will be tricky to get it turned over. We shall see in a few more days.
Project 2: This winter my little sign fell off of the fence. It was hard to see during the summer, because the plants covered it. I took its demise as a sign to move it to higher ground. I put it on top of the cow waterer bird feeder/bath combo we made a few years back. The wood was a piece we had sitting around, because it was twisted. It is still a bit twisted, but I like the outcome. All that is left is to plant a vine at the bottom.
Project 3: The Maitake (Hen of the Woods) Mushroom log. I am super excited about this project, but patience is the key. The mushroom plugs came in December and have been patiently sitting in the refrigerator. A few weeks ago my husband and I cut a fresh oak log to innoculate. It had to sit for two weeks before adding the mushrooms. It is super important that the log does not get exposed to other mushroom species. It sits off the ground on a pallet. Finally, inoculation day. I gathered my tools. First, I drilled 5/16 holes in the log. I tapped the plugs in the hole and then covered them with melted beeswax. That was my favorite part. The beeswax smelled heavenly. Now it must sit and stew for several months. I will keep you updated.