Sunday, April 1, 2018

Spring is NOT in the air...

More snow this weekend.  We probably got another 8 inches altogether.  Just another weekend birdwatching.  I tried to work on a picnic blanket, but ran out of material.  Shoveling and birdwatching that was the agenda.
 This is a very dapper blue jay.  
 A crow hung around all day.
 I love this Junco.  While all the others are gray, he is has a dusky orange undertone.
 The first robin of the year.  Poor fellow is in for a rough few months.  We still have a long way to go before we see earth.
 This redpoll looks about as happy as I am.
 I am very pleased with my crossbill photo.  I have had tons of them this spring.
The crow finally got so brave he landed on the deck.

It looked like a winter wonderland while snowshoeing today.  My body thinks it is November.  All I want to do is eat, sleep, and quilt.  We are supposed to get another week of snow.  

I was very thankful last week that the weather was decent and a friend of mine was able to visit.  We have worked together for about four years helping students get green cards.  We e-mail each other, call, and have even worked together via an internet video chat.  We have never actually met.  I was lucky enough to finally meet her face to face last week.  She came to the hills on vacation with a friend of hers.  They came up for supper and a few games of pool.  It was a great time.  The only bummer was she is an avid birdwatcher and all the birds you see above went into hiding when she came.  I'm pretty disappointed about that.  Still, it did not deter us from getting to know each other outside of work.  We had a great time.  I am lucky to know such wonderful person.   


Another week has come and gone.  I get frustrated with the snow, but looking back through my past blogs last year was the only time we didn't have snow at the beginning of April.  Ella thought the snow was grand for snowshoeing.  

We didn't do much for Easter.  My husband made a fabulous dinner.  We had a good weekend despite it being to cold to do anything.   I hope the rest of you out there have better weather and had a great Easter.


7 comments:

  1. Funny what a little perspective does for you. Today I was whining to myself about how much I miss living in the Rocky Mountains. And then I saw all your snow pictures and remembered how tired I was of it by April every year. It's beautiful, yes, but six months or more of it is too much for me.

    Your crossbill photo is stunning! In spite of the rainy weekend, I did manage to see several birds from the sunroom windows - lots of downy woodpeckers, a couple of red-bellied woodpeckers, a dozen or more cardinals, a Missouri bluebird, blue jays, black-headed grosbeaks, warblers, nuthatches, tufted titmouse (mice?), mourning doves, red-tailed hawks, a harrier hawk, and even a small flock of Canada geese flying north already. I may miss my mountains, but I really can't complain about the Ozark Plateau and what it offers. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had snow this morning but fortunately it turned to rain. That, however just adds to the excessive wetness. The ground is sodden. Lovely bird photos. Only one or two are recognisable adobes we might see here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got quite a dumping of snow! We didn't get that much, but woke up this morning (Mon) to a skiff and it sounds like we might get some measurable snow. Lots of baby livestock on the ground so it makes for more work here when it snows.

    I LOVE your bird pics. They sure do brighten up the landscape! Hang in there, spring is coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had snow early this morning, but now by mid-afternoon, it's almost gone...and that's fine with me! That crossbill is a beautiful bird!! I even see how it got it's name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oy! I hear ya. We just had a skiff of snow last night and I grumbled. Think spring think spring 💐🌷🌼🌺🌸.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting lots of snow today. I need to get out in it, but am grounded for a bi5t with health matters.Coming into the library today all the kids coming in for storytime had their tongues out catching a few large flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too much of that white stuff but that means the rivers and lakes will be full downstream from you. Spoke to daughter in NH and it was snowing there today. We have it in our forecast for tomorrow but will not amount to anything just cold.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.