Sunday, April 4, 2021

Potatoes and planting

 Yesterday I planted Adirondack Blue potatoes.  The best luck I've ever had with potatoes was when I planted them in a wire tower.  Thanks to some leftover alfalfa, I'm able to give it another try.  

Take a wire cage and press straw on the outside.  Fill the middle with soil and potatoes.  Slowly building your way up.  I put some wayward chives on top.  Who doesn't like chives with their potatoes?


My first batch of seedlings are ready to go.  Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, pumpkins, okra, squash, and I forget what else.

I also spent yesterday putting up birdhouses.  Every year I am hopeful and every year I am disappointed.  I have had squirrels, chipmunks, and even bumblebees, but never birds.  Maybe this will be the year.




Don't they look inviting?  I hope so.  As I write this I am listening to the weather lady talking about snow.  Drat.  Maybe, just maybe, she will be wrong.

How many bird houses do you have?  Do you get tenants?  Any tricks I should know?  Hope everyone had a happy Easter.








6 comments:

  1. I hope you are successful this year! We put out about 6 now, been here three years, two were vacant for two years, last year they were used so added two more which were quickly occupied. I had my husband build two owl boxes this fall, I am eager to see how they fair this spring! I feed the birds so have a huge population around, not sure if that contributes to having housing occupied, but I do know as much seed that I put out its equal to a mortgage payment! Do LOVE watching them enjoy their 6 feeders 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have tried several times to grow potatoes and have failed every single time!! i may try your technique for growing potatoes!!

    on the bright side of my life, i have 5 bird houses and they all have no vacancy signs up for spring!!

    your bird houses do look inviting and i am sure this is going to be your year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually have blue tits and great tits in nesting boxes but lots of birds nest in our bushes and trees. You’re really well in front of us with seed sowing

    ReplyDelete
  4. We usually have blue tits and great tits in nesting boxes but lots of birds nest in our bushes and trees. You’re really well in front of us with seed sowing

    ReplyDelete
  5. No birdhouses here yet. Daughter has a bluebird house but never had the bluebirds because the swallows chase them out. That's an interesting way to grow potatoes. Do the plants come out the sides?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a jump ahead of me with your seedlings. I am waiting just a few more days, then planting mine directly into the garden. We have a half-dozen Eastern blue bird boxes. All but one of them was claimed last year. I think it may have been a bit too close to a bush. Earlier when I cleaned last year's old nests out of the boxes, I was sad to see five dead bluebirds in one of the boxes. I feel sure they died from the heat when late last summer we had an abnormally hot spell. It must have caught the young birds just before they were able to fly. Your boxes look so inviting, so this may be the year.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.