Sunday, January 8, 2023

Off to a great start...

I would say 2023 is off to a wonderful start.  My husband and I have been able to relax and appreciate our life.  I am forever thankful to have found such an amazing man to spend my life with.  He is patient, caring, thoughtful, and understanding.

At work, despite many blizzards, my students all returned from their winter break and were overjoyed to be back.  I'm guessing the poor weather kept them cooped up inside and they remembered why they wanted something new.  The picture below is my school. 
Better yet, I heard from many past students.  All of them (even the ones that didn't finish) appreciative of their time at our center.  They have gone on to live successful lives.  One I had to kick out of the high school program until he apologized for his behavior.  He is now happily married and a lawyer in my hometown.  He specializes in at-risk youth.  We had such a good visit.
At home, we have been feeding the deer due to the large amount of snow.  In appreciation, a buck who has the most elegant rack said thanks by shedding his antlers right behind the cabin. His are at the bottom of the photo. He is unusual because his brow tines are as long as his other tines.


Another positive is Ella and I were able to go snowshoeing.  This brings me great joy as it means she is healthy and I love to snowshoe.  I so appreciate that my husband drives our ATV with tracks on our path to pack down the snow for Ella.

I am always trying new recipes and these baked oatmeal muffins are a winner. I found it on the She Likes Food blog.  They are perfect to take to work.  Delicious.
 
Baked Cranberry and Orange Oatmeal Muffins 

4 cups old fashioned oats, gluten free certified if necessary
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
1 cup dried cranberries
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 teaspoons orange juice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or sliced almonds 

INSTRUCTIONS

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. To a large bowl, add the almond milk, ground flax, maple syrup, vanilla extract and coconut sugar. Mix until combined and then let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients, mix again until completely combined and then let mixture sit for about 10 minutes, until thickened up a little bit.

Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray, or line it with cupcake liners, and scoop oatmeal mixture in using a large ice cream scoop or a 1/4 measuring cup. (I would go with the cup liners.)

Bake oatmeal cups for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and let sit in the muffin tin for about 20 minutes, until cooled and completely set.

https://www.shelikesfood.com/healthy-baked-oatmeal-breakfast-cups-6-ways/


The year keeps getting better.  I am now able to spend time with my little brother. We went to a guitar store and I finally heard him play the guitar.  I text him good morning every morning to make up for all the mornings I wasn't able.
My first book of the new year was not what I expected.  The Chicken Chronicles by Alice Walker was a great way to compare the life of chickens to world issues and learn about Alice's personal experiences. I don't agree with everything about Alice Walker, but that doesn't mean I will discount her entirely.  A mentor once told me everyone has something to teach you even those you don't agree with.

My final blessing of the new year was spending the morning with a close friend at a hot yoga class and then a cup of coffee.  We solve the world's problems after an exhilarating class.

2023 is off to the perfect beginning.  How is your new year starting?



2 comments:

  1. Those muffins sound like something I would have liked to take to work, too! - Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have husbands with the same qualities, isn't that wonderful!! your snow is so pretty, we have not gotten any yet, in fact it has been unseasonably warm here in new jersey!! the muffins look and sound great, thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.