Sunday, January 15, 2023

So much for wintering...

Last year I read Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times by Katherine May.  It talked about winter being a time of rest and rejuvenation.  It wasn't the best book I ever read, but her point made sense.  I really looked forward to relaxing and rejuvenating this winter.  I now realize I am terrible at "wintering.". Today will be my example.  It is Sunday a 'day of rest.'

After my two cups of coffee, I start working on my niece's quilt.  I put the feathers together yesterday and planned how they would go on the quilt.  Today I started the task of appliqueing them onto the quilt. 

After Sunday dinner, I cleaned out the freezer in the cabin and the chest freezer in the garage.  

Next, my husband and I started putting the soft top on my brother's Jeep.  We got it on, but now the doors won't shut.  We will solve that problem another day as it started raining.

I then hauled everything from the freezer to the dumpster.  I feel so much better having that cleaned out.  I found a bag of chokecherries which fit into my next project raking my wines and making a new batch of chokecherry. I bottled my sour cherry wine and I'm afraid it tastes like cherry cough syrup.  Drat.


 I didn't dare sit down or I would never get up again. My last endeavor was to make apple crisp with some of the apples I found in the freezer.


I finished reading Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi. I have never been one for time travel stories, but this one was very unique. Now I'm reading The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen by Hendrik Groen. So far, it is humourous.

I am now cuddling on the couch with my husband and I don't think I could move if I wanted to.  


Are you 'wintering' or are you going a hundred miles an hour like me?  I have tomorrow off and I am forcing myself to relax.


 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post. There’s never enough hours in the day are there? I’m a new follower and nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sort of wintering as far as outdoor projects go but use winter as a time for catching up with indoor tasks. We definitely spend more time lounging about and gaining weight,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it because it was the weekend and you had too much on your to do list? being retired I take my time doing tedious tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do slow down in the winter with any outdoor gardening projects, but that brings me into the house where I continue gardening with the potted plants I brought in for the winter. Even if it is "work" it is pleasure, my mind wonders and I relax.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have definitely been going 100 miles an hour, hoping that it will change in the near future-whenever that is. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.