Sunday, November 26, 2023

Happy Thanksgiving

 We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with a close friend and her daughter. My husband made a fabulous turkey.  Ironically, I spent most of the day shooing turkeys off of our deck. Little did they know what was being eaten inside. I am thankful for a loving husband,  good friends, an old dog, delicious food, and a cozy cabin.

I appreciated a long quiet weekend, and was able to make good headway on the graduation quilt.  Nine patches are so soothing to make.  I love the rhythm of sewing strips and cutting them into blocks.


I also used the leftover mashed potatoes to make a huge batch of lefse. I am not Norwegian, but I love all types of bread.
Ingredients:

3 c. Mashed Potatoes
1/2 c. Cream
1 t. Salt
2 t. Sugar
1/2 c. Butter
2 c. Flour

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together then roll dough into little balls. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Lightly roll them out being extremely generous with the flour, until they are very thin. Lay the flat bread on a hot griddle. The dough will start to bubble after 3-4 minutes and then flip it and let it sit for another 3 minutes. There is a long flat paddle just for this, but I used spatulas. Lay the warm lefse on a flour sack towel and cover. Continue to stack them in this manner. Wipe the flour off of the griddle with a wet cloth before putting on another flattened ball.

I made 27 pieces of lefse.  Plenty to share.  It sounds more complicated than it actually is.  It is another project that flows along once you get a rhythm going. 



The sunset tonight was breathtaking.  What is your favorite type of bread?  Did you have a big Thanksgiving?  What are you thankful for?  




6 comments:

  1. Interesting bread I have never heard of it. It looks kind of like a flat bread.
    Your quilt is darling.
    And very funny about showing a rurkey away
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a delicious turkey blowout for Thanksgiving too, and lots of leftovers. Those flatbreads remind me of naan bread - which I love. I'm thankful for my wonderful husband and the fact that I'm retired, lol. I agree that there are many soothing tasks that can be rewarding and relaxing. Thanks for posting, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful holiday and lots to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were 6 for Thanksgiving at daughter's home. Never heard of this bread you made but looks like naan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I met with post doc. researchers at the university here from China. Guess what our meal was - you are right - Chinese !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shooing off the turkeys sounded funny with a turkey cooking inside! I'm Thankful for my lovely husband too.. Lefse? I might try some of these looked good.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.