Sunday, January 7, 2024

Off to a great start...

Well, 2024 is off to a great start.  Due to the weather, my family got together for Christmas on Saturday. I did some pre-baking and went early to help Mom with the big meal.  It was a day filled with good food and fabulous company.  My parent's house was packed.  It has been a long while since we were all together and we all appreciated the time, as it is precious.  
 
Then of course, is Christmas sledding.  It didn't last long as the snow was great for sledding, but the only good spot we could find had a fence at the bottom.  Us older and wiser ones decided someone was either going to break a leg or go through the fence.  The younger ones could have kept going.  
After spending time with family at my parents, my brother and his girlfriend came out to our cabin for a visit. It turned out to be a fabulous time.  
I thought it would be fun to have a Yule Log Cake competition.  It turned out to be a great idea. All of us had done our research and decided on the winning recipe.  I found a wonderful recipe for meringue mushrooms: Meringue Mushrooms for Yule Log – Baking Like a Chef
Anyone that reads this blog, knows that the kitchen is the best place to be when visiting our cabin. This visit wasn't any different.  Jim and Jessma made an amazing Yule Log with almond extract in the cream filling and a delicious buttercream frosting.  I did lend them some mushrooms for added visual elements.  
My husband and I opted for the Delicious Dark Chocolate Ganache. I added peanut butter and Nutella with dark chocolate almonds for the perfect pinecone. 
Needless to say, we ended in a draw. Actually, we were all winners as the cakes provided a delicious dessert for the week.  It was a great way to get to know each other better and provided wonderful entertainment. 

We had quite a bit of snow, so there was snowshoeing and buzzing around in the snow with our ATV that has tracks. It is better than a snowmobile.  


We picked up a micro puzzle while checking out the stores in Hill City.  Putting the puzzle together and a few rounds of poker were our indoor activities.  I really like the micro puzzle as we don't have a lot of room to put together a full-size puzzle. 
 I'm actually happy for some snow, as I love snowshoeing.  It is sad that Ella can no longer go with me.  I managed to get out quite a bit this week.  Between my outing yesterday and today there was a lot of activity.  I saw both lion and coyote tracks.  I am not sure if this was the mom lion.  There were no cub tracks and the single set I saw was too small to be her.  
Time filled with family, good food, and outside activity is a great way to begin the new year. 
Is your new year off to a good start?

5 comments:

  1. Our Christmas was really quiet compared to yours -it sounds like lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those Yule Logs were impressive, and delicious I'm sure. Beautiful to see the familiar landscape under a snowy cover. Looks like the family visits went very well too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a wonderful holiday with so much extra fun, love the Yule logs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to have family to visit, ours are all too far away.. sounds like great fun was had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a lot of cake eating for 4 people! Lovely and delicious I'm sure. The year has started off very busy with our bathroom redo project occupying our time and money.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.