Sunday, February 25, 2024

I'm no quitter...

Did anyone else see this moon ring?  Since Ella passed, my husband and I continued the tradition of a last jaunt outside before bed.  Last week, were pleasantly surprised by this moon ring.  Breathtaking.

I'm kind of in a moon phase, as I had to stop on the way home from work and take a picture of the moon over the trees.  It was so peaceful.   
I'd be a liar if I told you I didn't want to quit on this project, but I didn't.  I can't tell you how many times I ripped this apart and resewed it.  Only to find it was still off.  I had to seriously ponder why the tail was incorrect.  After numerous times of pinning and repining, I realized I must have accidently left and extra 1/4-inch seam.  I have never wanted to throw something away as much as I wanted to throw this project in the trash.  I just couldn't do it.  I couldn't walk away.   I also hate unfinished projects.  If I start something, I am determined to finish it.  
My mom asked me how many glasses of wine it took to finish it.  Truth is there is no drinking with a project this difficult.  It was hard enough with all of my senses intact.  I ran out of cloud material and had to substitute the only blue that was close enough.  The whole project was with leftover materials.  The batting was leftover, the binding was leftover, and all of the pieces were leftover from numerous projects.  In the end, I used a nice dark leftover thread to provide a decorative pattern around the binding.  As you can see it was a nailbiter to the end.    

I didn't quit.  I kept ripping that sucker apart and putting it back together.  Is it perfect, no.  Nothing I do is perfect, but I didn't throw in the towel, no matter how bad I wanted to, and I finished it.  I am all the wiser for doing it.  It was one of the hardest quilting projects I have ever done.  It pushed my limits and my patience.  
I wasn't the only person working on projects.  My husband loves to make signs and he has been working all week on this Gone Fishing sign.  It isn't completely done, but I love how it looks.  He isn't quite done with it.  
We had a great weekend.  Lots of walks, great meals, and projects to keep us busy.  Today at the end of the day it was warm enough to sit outside and watch the sunset, while finally enjoying a glass of hard-earned wine.  
Tonight's sunset was a bit lackluster compared to last night's sunset.  Yesterday the colors were wonderful. 

One has to love the beauty Mother Nature provides.  Funny how you need clouds to see the colors in life.  
What is a project that you wanted to quit, but just kept at it?  How did you feel when it was done?

5 comments:

  1. I think your buffalo turned out great! Good job sticking with it. I used to be frustrated by some of the embroidery projects I would try to tackle when I was a teen - they usually got stuffed into a drawer. Glad your hubs has a hobby he enjoys too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow it came out wonderful! I am a rug hooker and I have quit once or twice but usually I go back and finish them.
    any sunset is lovely with a glass of wine
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you for finishing! That really motivates me to get back to mine when I get a break in client quilts. I really like the decorative stitch on the binding and the wave you added in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.