Sunday, October 16, 2022

It's the great pumpkin...

 There was frost on the pumpkins this week, so yesterday was the weigh in for the Great Pumpkin Champion.

Here is the winner.  Weighing in at a whopping 21.2 pounds.  But, whose pumpkin is it?
Here are all of the contenders along with a few squash and some mum's.  
Second place was 16.8 pounds.  It seems it wasn't done growing, but Mother Nature said it was time.
Yes, it was my husband's pumpkin.  He earned it.  He watered Zeb every morning and evening.  Tarzan (my pumpkin in the woods) was treated like everything else I plant.  On the brink of death before I water.  I may have to change strategy.  Honestly, Kelly watered my pumpkin more than I did.  I do think two more weeks would have benefitted me.  
As for the rest of the garden.  I pulled everything up.  All that is left are my herbs that need repotted and brought in.

I was pretty happy with how amazing my mini sweet corn tasted.  The carrots were also fabulous.  I had enough turnips and beans to can two pints of stew vegetables.
I made a pumpkin cheesecake last weekend and today used the leftover canned pumpkin to make pumpkin bars (looks more like a cake).  
I have all of the feathers cut out for one of the graduation quilts.  Now I need to cut the pieces for the other graduation quilt.  
The beekeeper stopped by and dropped off some honey.  One of the hives lost it's queen and a bear stole the honey from two hives he had elsewhere.  I also bottled my dandelion wine, so it was a productive weekend.
It was a great weekend.  The leaves have held tough despite vicious winds. The colors are a feast for the eyes.
Are the colors still grand where you are? What harvest do you look forward to the most?  I think mine is the dandelion wine.  I hope you have a fabulous week.






1 comment:

  1. The autumn colours are beautiful here too especially when reflected in water. Your pumpkin looks great to say that you think it was neglected. Sound like Winnie the Pooh was snooping round.

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.