Sunday, April 9, 2023

Rocky is in the house... (Or pine tree)

It was a beautiful Easter weekend.  Friday night it was 49 degrees at 8:00pm.  I took advantage of the warm evening and had s'mores on the deck.  

I heard a ruckus in the pine tree next to the deck.  I looked up just in time to see two flying squirrels glide from one pine tree to another.  Wow. We knew they were around, as several years ago one flew into a transformer and was fried.  But to actually see them.   I was elated.  I did some research and found this wonderful article about the species of squirrels in South Dakota.  The first flying squirrel video looks just like what I saw.
https://birdwatchinghq.com/squirrels-in-south-dakota/

Words cannot describe how overjoyed Ella and I were at being able to enjoy coffee on the porch after a very long winter.
I did have an agenda for the weekend and that was to get quilting.  Not only does the deck work for flying squirrel observations, but it also makes for a great quilting area.  I was able to tape down and layer my graduation quilt.  I won't lie thanks to my busy bird feeders, there may be a sunflower hull or two in the batting.
Somewhere in the middle of everything Ella got a muddy walk and then was promptly given a bath.  She wasn't happy with me for the rest of the weekend.
Generally, I dislike laying out quilts immensely, because I usually spread it out on the tile floor in the basement.  I cannot tape the layers to tile, so it is difficult and painful.  Crawling around on tile hurts. I am too old for hard cold floors.  Using the deck was perfect.  Enjoying the 53 degree day an added bonus.
I started some seeds, again utilizing the sunny deck. Two flats is a good start. Herbs, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, and bunching onions are in for round one of planting.  Round two, next week will be melons and flowers.
I did more quilting.  This is the part I enjoy most.  I really miss hand quilting, but my wrists don't.
In the middle of all that, I may have enjoyed some sunshine.  Have I mentioned how much I love the new deck?
More quilting.  I'm chugging right along.
I even managed to bake a chocolate cake.  Not the prettiest, but it tastes great.
The end.  The snow is still here, but at least I was able to work around it.

How was your Easter?

5 comments:

  1. How exciting to actually see flying squirrels. I guess your porch provides some cover so you can watch unnoticed. I find it amusing that you are sitting outside when there is snow on the ground

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me think of my much younger days of crawling around on the floor laying out patterns on fabric. I used to sew a lot. Maybe you should buy some knee pads, like people in the trades use. I've only seen a flying squirrel once. I glided from our big spruce tree. It was amazing!! -Jenn (oh, and I need to start some seeds!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie! Oh, the cake looks YUMMY! You are a busy bee! The quilts are lovely! The porch is wonderful! I know what you mean about crawling around on the floor. OUCH! God bless you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we celebrated easter one week early and had a blast!! on easter, we worked on the house, our remodel!! you have been busy, good, fun busy...i enjoyed seeing the snow!! i love your porch!!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.