Sunday, June 4, 2023

Rest and relax...

 I tried very hard to just rest and relax this weekend since all of my obligations were done.

I did pick some more dandelions for wine.  This has been a banner year and I think I will have the most dandelion wine I've ever made.
We had a terrible hailstorm at work.  Luckily, it didn't hit home.  I found it funny as I drove home in the hail all of the tourist were pulled off under trees and South Dakota vehicles were driving along.  I guess we are used to it.  It was only marble sized.

Ella is having a difficult time understanding that the asparagus is finished.  She sits longingly by the patch hoping for a spear.
My sister gave me a gift certificate for irises.  This is the first year they have bloomed.  Cute little buggers.
I love our cabin in the woods.  The porch is the most relaxing place on earth.

Here are a few more of the miniature iris.  I got them from Sutton Iris and highly recommend the company as they are great stock.
I picked exactly 15 pounds of rhubarb for a big batch of wine.  How I managed to pick exactly what I needed was interesting.
We have had a regular turkey parade around here.  This morning 7 hens and three toms went running by.  I thought it was a turkey race.  This evening the same group is strolling by at a more leisurely pace.  There is nothing more ridiculous than a turkey on the run.

Of course for me baking is relaxing, so I made a batch of Toll House chocolate chip cookies.  Yummy.
In case you weren't aware, I am notoriously cheap.  I like to take yogurt, berries, and granola for my lunch at work.  The price of granola is ridiculous.  I decided to make my own.  Then I substituted maple syrup with my peach syrup.  Can you say awesome?
In case you are interested here is the site with the recipe:  https://biancazapatka.com/en/chocolate-granola/
The bumblebees sure love the allium.  I'm a little bummed as I planted about 10 allium bulbs and only 3 have bloomed.  Do you have any advice?
That is it.  A nice quiet relaxing weekend.  How has your summer been?

8 comments:

  1. No allium advice. Ours disappeared only to have some pop up in pkaces that we didn't plant them maybe seeds from the tubs that we tipped out onto the garden. Your cabin look idyllic especially if you sit ourside eating those cookies,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spending time at home must be heavenly for you. I can sense the energy! You always inspire me with your mentions of dandelion wine and rhubarb wine. Do you have all the fancy wine making equipment? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That porch, and really your whole property, does look like a most idyllic setting to just hang out. IDK, hail is pretty dramatic to me (FL). I saw where some ppl had zip-tied pool noodles together to make a padded covering for their car, lol. Enjoy your dabbling's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last week felt like summer but this week feels like early Spring. Some of my iris buds got frozen in mid-May and I didn't realize it at the time. Now they are just paper shells - no blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! Your porch and deck are so inviting. What a perfect place to enjoy a good book and a glass of dandelion wine. I especially enjoy seeing your gardens. I love the allium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the yard work...opening the pool, not as relaxing as i would like. i have never heard of dandelion wine?? your home, your garden and your iris are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried to grow allium...so cant help with advice. Your dandelion wine sounds like an interesting project....and tasty? Your dog looks so sweet hoping for some asparagus! How lovely and inviting your porch is!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.