Monday, June 26, 2023

Winter dreams...

 After finishing my blog last week, Kelly, Ella, and I went for our evening stroll.  We have some nice peaceful roads by our cabin.  About 60 yards in front of us we saw something in the road.  

It took a moment for us to realize it was a yearling mountain lion.  I think it was chasing a frog.  When it caught sight of us, it retreated into the woods. No it is not in the picture above.  That is just a picture of the road.
I wish I had a picture, as the colors were so vibrant.  The grass was emerald green and the lion was such a beautiful brown.  Of course we cut our stroll short, but I am thankful to have that image in my mind.
We have had a plethora of rain.  My gardens are gangly and flourishing.  I keep having to tie my plants up.
Doesn't the rainwater on this iris look rich.  It is aptly named Before the Storm.

These irises are called Illuminati.
We haven't seen any fawns yet, but it is just a matter of time, as we have lots of does around.
Everything is green and lush.  



Last year I tried potatoes in a raised cage, but frost got them.  This year they are doing great and I already have the chives in top.
The garden and greenhouse are flourishing.  Despite a few hailstorms, there hasn't been any severe damage.
Thankfully, my husband helped me solidify my garden fence.  Quite a few of the wheels were just balanced on.  We took the weekend and drilled hole then bolted them together.  
I could never have done it without him, as some of those wheels had very thick walls.
I feel better knowing they aren't going to fall if someone leans on them.

The peonies are in full bloom and probably the fullest I've ever seen them.  I have one on each side of the steps and they smell so good.



My evening primrose is also blooming.  They remind me of the gumbo lilies we had on the prairie.
The yellow rose is also in full splendor.  It has held tough despite lots of wind and rain.
That is the extent of my week.  I hope you are enjoying your gardens after a long winter of dreaming about them.

4 comments:

  1. WE got a driving rain last night for hours and my poor roses took it very badly.
    We need to see more sun and a little warmth and things grow. Your irises are just lovely. I love the wheels it must of taken awhile to collect them.
    I would love to hear how you grow your potatoes. what the process is.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. Your pictures are wonderful. I love the raindrops on the iris. Your fencing from old wheels is such a great idea. But, a mountain lion so near would make me a bit jittery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden has exploded! That wheel fence is really neat. where did you find all those wheels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post really brightened my morning, how beautiful your property is and the best of luck with your gardening efforts. The peony and yellow rose are glorious!

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.