Sunday, June 18, 2023

Wonders never cease...

Last Sunday, my husband and I were sitting in the living room.  It was well past dark, when he thought he saw something moving on the bird feeder.  I turned on the outside light and lo and behold there was my flying squirrel.  I have tried to get a picture all week to no avail.  Luckily, my husband knowing how badly I wanted to share the news with my blogging friends set up his game camera.

The pictures aren't the greatest, but don't give up hope.  I'll get a good picture of him sooner or later.
He has been a regular every night.  It is pretty exciting to have such a special guest.
Speaking of special guests, we saw this handsome fella in Deadwood.  He must have been looking to spend a little money gambling.
Then the icing on the cake was a visit from this lady.  
She hasn't been around much and doesn't stay long.  I think she may have a nest not far from our bedroom window.  I certainly love where we live.  

I wanted to share a gift I received from one of my students on Friday.

A rock you say.  Not just any rock.  My student is interning at the Sanford science lab, which is located in the old Homesteak mining shafts.  This rock is a quartz from the bottom of the mine.  He got it for me because I have lived here for thirty years and never had a chance to go in the mine.  The best part, he took it out of his backpack and as he handed it to me he said it had never seen light until the moment he gave it to me.  Yes, I cried.  Do I have amazing kids or what?

On the flower front my irises are starting to bloom.







I can't help myself with the close-ups.  I am fascinated by the colors, depth, and intricacies of the iris.
I enjoyed some time on the deck yesterday.  The view was perfect. No, I didn't see the squirrel.
That is all I have.  This has been a perfect weekend.  I am a lucky woman.
What is the strangest animal you have seen?  What is one of the most unique presents you have ever received?

5 comments:

  1. You do havr some lovely wild life visitors. Nothing so exotic here. Lovely irises

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do have amazing kids!!! the pictures of the iris are amazing. i do not have any iris but i MUST plant some!!

    i can't think of a unique gift...or a strange animal?? mabe the moles that visit our yard often. my squirrels are always flying around, trying to get on my bird feeders!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely pictures! Your Irises are amazing. So is that flying squirrel. The mountain goat is cool too. You showed that quartz that you got as a gift, how sweet. I have been gone since May and one of the really fun things we did was dig quartz out of a mine. We got really lovely pieces. We just got back and when I get back to normal, I will post some pictures. It really looks beautiful at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That purple iris is gorgeous. My irises this year were blah. I think it was the hard freeze we had mid-May that damaged the buds. I have one student gift that sits here on my window sill at my desk. It's an old fashioned pay phone with the face of a clock - about 3 inches high. Engraving says from Amy 2005. She was one of my 4th grade students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you live in a beautiful place! I have seen a flying squirrel with the big eyes they are so sweet looking.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete

Sit on my porch and let's chat. Due to the amount of spam I am closing my comments to Anonymous users. Sorry.